2002 yamaha 150 Tilt Problem

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 150 yamaha outboard that will not tilt up, it goes down fine and I have checked the following.

Has good 12 volt power going to the tilt motor when solinoid is activated, you can hear it click but the motor doesn't run.
Going down works fine.

manually raised the engine & the rams both stayed down, when tested again they didn't move.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2002 yamaha 150 Tilt Problem

That should be a 4 bolt mount trim motor. YAMAHA p/n 64E-43880-01-00, $536. SIERRA MARINE ON LINE PARTS CATALOG. P/N 18-6763, $169.13. Just like OEM. Change the motor. FRED

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Pine Island Fred,

Would swapping the Blue and Green tilt wires change the direction of the fault, If yes would this still confirm the motor is bad?

I have been told that if it works in one direction the motor is good and the relay is bad, hate to just start buying parts if there another way to confirm.

Thanks
Jerry

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes the motor would drive in the opposite direction commanded. Would go up but not down. I am a bit gun shy. My carrier was in aviation so I normally replaced any part that might be questionable. ( I was not paying for it. ) My thinking only, although not a dangerous thing, replacing the motor provides piece of mind.
Something like people freeing their stuck/ corroded steering cable, better off replacing it. BTW, the tilt/ trim unit is built by SHOWA, not YAMAHA. regards FRED

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The relay has to complete the positive and the negative connection to run and reverse the motors direction , so you need to test both connections to make sure it is not the relay that is the problem

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys,

Just want to confirm before I finish testing.

By swapping the blue & green wires on the relay the motor should now fail in the reverse direction, correct? If yes does this prove the motor or the relay is bad?

Also if I remove the blue & green wires from the relay I assume I could connect direct to power to test the motr, correct? if the motor is bad I assume it would only work in one direction.

Jerry

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If the motor works in one direction I would think it should be good in both, but has a problem with a connection.

Yes you can hook it up directly to a 12 volt source(battery) and reverse the leads to make sure it will run both ways

filis

Recruit

yes the motor would drive in the opposite direction commanded. Would go up but not down. I am a bit gun shy. My carrier was in aviation so i normally replaced any part that might be questionable. ( i was not paying for it. ) my thinking only, although not a dangerous thing, replacing the motor provides piece of mind.
Something like people freeing their stuck/ corroded steering cable, better off replacing it. Btw, the tilt/ trim unit is built by showa, not yamaha. Regards fred
i am so glad to maybe find someone nearby that may be able to help me.
I have a yami 150 4 stroke with a seastar power steering....no power assist. It seems to be hard to turn. I had the bolt out that hooks to the seastar and could not move it by hand. I understand that the size motor without the assist makes you tires at the end of voyage but want to make sure that is not because i have a bad bearing or something else. All else seems fine. Thanks in advance.