Suzuki 40DT 1985 Impeller/Lower Unit

Loreto1234

Cadet
New to board-Very cool and lots of good info.
Can someone help me with disconnecting the lower end unit on my 40DT. I see six bolts and anode bolt but not sure on the Clutch Rod/Shift Rod disconnect. Do I unlock the lower bolt then turn the barrel nut above while counting the turns (because it is the adjuster) then seprate the clutch Rod from the Shift Rod? I read a post on a different Suzuki HP motor but would like to hear from someone who knows the 40DT.
Thanks for any help you can give this rookie.

Loreto1234

Cadet
Re: Suzuki 40DT 1985 Impeller/Lower Unit

This thing is driving me crazy. Anyone out there??? Need help please !!!

Loreto1234

Cadet

Figured out and confirmed that the lower part of the Clutch Rod and the top part of the Shift Rod need to be disconnected from each other via the barrel nut on the Clutch Rod needs to be turned after the lock nut on the Shift Rod is loosened. I will post pictures if I can so someone else doesn't go through the BS I did. Hope this helps someone out in Suzuki land with an older model 40DT while changing their impeller.

mike__b

Seaman

You are correct. You first loosen the locknut using two wrenches. Then you leave the locknut where it is, and unscrew the top. This is probably easiest while in Forward gear.

Loreto1234

Cadet

Does it have to be in forward when you disconnect and when you reconnect?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Where ever it is easiest to get to , just make sure both the lower unit and the shifter are in the same position