Suzuki trim and tilt obsolete

artzann

Recruit
Anyone know where I can get a trim and tilt for my 1998 Suzuki 40 hp outboard...DT 40c? Many of the parts are now obsolete. 2 attempts were made at rebuilding the motor but the motor and hydraulics failed.

mike__b

Seaman
Re: Suzuki trim and tilt obsolete

unlike older units like mine (which also is currently non-working), my understanding is the electric motor and the hydraulics are separate in your unit. If your motor is burnt up, you could probably rewire it yourself, if you feel so inclined. From looking at the diagrams, it looks like a typical DC brushed motor.
Here is a new, replacement motor: http://www.iboats.com/Mallory-Power-Tilt-and-Trim-Motor-9-18302/dm/view_id.363738
It says it is an OEM replacement for yours.

So are you attempting to repair the motor or the tilt / trim unit?

artzann

Recruit

unlike older units like mine (which also is currently non-working), my understanding is the electric motor and the hydraulics are separate in your unit. If your motor is burnt up, you could probably rewire it yourself, if you feel so inclined. From looking at the diagrams, it looks like a typical DC brushed motor.
Here is a new, replacement motor: http://www.iboats.com/Mallory-Power-Tilt-and-Trim-Motor-9-18302/dm/view_id.363738
It says it is an OEM replacement for yours.

So are you attempting to repair the motor or the tilt / trim unit?

No, I am not trying to rebuild the motor myself. Unfortunately I do not have a clue how to repair it. I wish I did. I had a boat mechanic rebuild it, paid for the parts and for the work. It failed after 24 hours. The mechanic took it out and supposedly fixed it again and it failed again. The mechanic will no longer return my phone calls and I have spoken to another boat mechanic who does not want to attempt rebuilding it. I am out $350.00 and still have no hydraulics. I know the basics of an outboard but have no idea about the mechanics of the the trim and tilt. I know I do not want to purchase a whole new trim and tilt for a boat and motor that is not worth more than 3k. It is a 15.5 Key Largo, 1998. I have viewed the after market parts for the trim and tilt but so far I have a mechanic whose work failed, and the opinion of another who indicated he would could not guarantee that just the just motor has failed. I am in a bind. There is a Suzuki marine dealer about 40 miles away that said he would take a look at it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

you have switches, relays, wires, connections, and the motor itself that could be a problem and that is just the electrical part, then there is the hydraulic portion.We have no idea what it's problems are as you have not ask us for anything but where to get a new one
I would take it to them if you are not able to troubleshoot it or repair it yourself.
Of course if you buy a service manual for your motor you might have a better chance of doing it yourself