yamaha exhaust problem on 225 hp

ken in the keys

Recruit
I have a pair of 04 225 hp four stroke yamaha outboard engines. I had an oil leak on the port side engine, my dealer after tearing down the engine discovered the internal exhaust metal cracked, pited and corroded to the point that it all needs to be replaced.
I had him check the starboard engine with the same findings Has yamaha issued a recall on this problem?

Re: yamaha exhaust problem on 225 hp

I don't see any, your dealer if a Yamaha dealer should be able to get on YMBS and search all service bulletins. I have everyone from 2000-2011 and did not see anything about oil leaks on a 4 stroke. Sounds like good ole Mother Nature.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I have everyone from 2000-2011 and did not see anything about oil leaks on a 4 stroke.

Bulletin 2008-026 dated 12-08 talks about oil leaks due to a rusted crankshaft damaging the oil pump seals. It is 4 pages long.

The corrosion problem inside the exhaust housing and water plate that shows up on some Yamaha 4 strokes is not addressed in a service bulletin, but taken on an individual case basis by Yamaha.

Bulletin 2008-026 dated 12-08 talks about oil leaks due to a rusted crankshaft damaging the oil pump seals. It is 4 pages long.

The corrosion problem inside the exhaust housing and water plate that shows up on some Yamaha 4 strokes is not addressed in a service bulletin, but taken on an individual case basis by Yamaha.

Good call

I have a pair of 04 225 hp four stroke yamaha outboard engines. I had an oil leak on the port side engine, my dealer after tearing down the engine discovered the internal exhaust metal cracked, pited and corroded to the point that it all needs to be replaced.
I had him check the starboard engine with the same findings Has yamaha issued a recall on this problem?
When did you purchase them and did you purchase the extended warranty?