2005 Yamaha 115 4 stroke is 500 hours a lot?

TommyD11730

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys

Was going to look at a boat in my neck of the woods this weekend. It's a 2005 and the Yamaha 115 4-Stroke has 500Hrs on it. Bout' 100Hrs a year since new.

Owner works for a marina and has "spared no expense" :rolleyes: maintaining the motor... or so he says.

My question is would 500H be considered a lot? Also is their any expensive maintenance <timing belt?> that should have been performed, or should be done right about now.

Thanks!

Tommy D

TommyD11730

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2005 Yamaha 115 4 stroke is 500 hours a lot?

I'm surprised that I have received no reply's.

For example if someone were to say they had near 50K on a modern automobile engine one could surmise:

If the oil was properly maintained the motor is most likely 1/3 through it expected service life. Also @ the 50K mark one would expect that the timing belt would now require at the very least inspection if not replacement.

So there are no universal guidelines for 4 Stroke marine motors?

Thanks

Tommy D

harvey5560

Cadet

Its a difficult question to answer accurate without knowing the history of the use of the outboard.
WHile not an outboard expert by any means I can tell you a few factors that will come in to play
1.) How was it used? was it used for trolling or for "general purpose"

2.) How hard and how often was it used

3.) how was it maintained ( I would ask for a service history not just the sellers word)

If the owner works at a marina then he should perform a compression test on the cylinders at no charge which will give you an indication on the condition of the "insides"

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would consider that a low time motor, especially it being a 4 stroke. A couple of thoughts, my views only. If you are around open water it is safe to assume that the engine was operated at only 2 speeds, idle and WOT. Seems that is the only power setting most people know.
There is an old saying, A SHOE MAKERS CHILDREN GO BAREFOOT. If he is like most people, he only changed the oil and perhaps the water pump. Anything else that was done was something that was necessary.
A piece of advice. Before you purchase the motor if you do, have him demonstrate how to manually raise the motor. Have him actually do it in front of you. Chances are he will point to the screw and tell you it is a simple matter or he does not have a big blade screw driver. Truth is it might not work and he knows it.
One final thought, no one follows recommended service items, including me. Within a mile radius of me there has to be hundreds of O/Bs. and they are only touched when they break. There are exceptions like the people changing the oil on their car when the mfg. recommends, along with oil and transmission flush, fuel injector cleaning and throw in nitrogen in their tires. Is a feel good thing, nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. FRED

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

How does the boat it's mounted on look? I have a 26 year old Yamaha 115 hp two stroke on a 24' pontoon boat, and you cannot kill it. Yamaha's are premium motors--especially the modern 4 strokes.

You cannot compare a boat motor to a car motor--even if it was an inboard-outboard. Stress on a boat motor at 3000 rpm is much, much harder than a car motor running 3000 rpm.

rokwldr

Recruit

How does the boat it's mounted on look? I have a 26 year old Yamaha 115 hp two stroke on a 24' pontoon boat, and you cannot kill it. Yamaha's are premium motors--especially the modern 4 strokes.

You cannot compare a boat motor to a car motor--even if it was an inboard-outboard. Stress on a boat motor at 3000 rpm is much, much harder than a car motor running 3000 rpm.

I have a friend who is a Yamaha mechanic . He tells me he sees Yammies with three thousand hrs plus (used by fish & game patrols) and very few troubles, and most of these engines spend a lot of time at WOT. So I would think 500hrs is fairly new!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

This is an old thread that the OP will not even be looking at ,so no need to being it back to life.