Yamaha 115 4 stroke wire from lower unit

NJWardy

Recruit
Noticed a wire with a bolt connection on the end sticking up from lower unit not connected to anything. looks like a ground wire. there is another ground wire that is attached to the bolt right next to it. see photo. any ideas what this should be attached to? should i worry as everything works fine?:confused:

IMG-20110508-00069.jpg

Last edited:

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Yamaha 115 4 stroke wire from lower unit

Just went out and looked at mine, same motor. Mine has 2 that are routed down with the speedometer tube. One is connected under the motor mount bolt like your. The other is longer and is routed between the fork ( down stops or guide ) and secured to a stud on the right side, 2 to 3 inchs. up. You have to raise the motor to see it. FRED

cpkeys05

Recruit

Question, I have an 05 90 Yami. Yesturday when pulling it out of the water, that grey hose with the little nipple connecting the two ends, I noticed that it had worn and developed a hole in it. The picture above shows the hose perfectly.

What exactly is that hose? I haven't lost water pressure, no alarms. The more I research, the more it seems like it has something to do with the speedometer but the dash speedo hasn't worked since I have had it. Just want to make sure it isn't like a breather or something for the gear case.

Thanks

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is for the speedometer. They never work. FRED

That is for the speedometer. They never work. FRED

They work good but they are prone to debris getting stuck in the pick up tube. Just seperate the hose at the nipple connection and with a same size diameter drill bit, drill into the orfice. Just be sensible with it and work it back and forth. Blow compressed air into the pickup and at the nipple fitting hose end and work the air pressure back and forth. In extreme cases I have had to remove the gearcase and fill speedo hole with oil and hydrolically remove debris but I don't recommend to do this if you have not done it before...the wire you are referring to is the bonding wire that connects the gearcase to the midsection, should have eyelit that fits on the lower motor mount bolt.

cpkeys05

Recruit

Thanks. I figured it was the speedo.

Since it has a hole in the line just above the connector coming from the lower unit, can I just cut the line and put an additional connector in the line? Should I replace it, or just leave it alone. Speedometer hasn't worked since I bought the boat, never worried about it cause I use the Garmin.
Thanks for the information, I just didn't want to take the boat out this weekend and cause any damage.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It will be fine , may squirt some water out at the break if the pick up is not blocked. You can just plug the tube off if you do not need it