2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI Surging

A friends 2003 250 HPDI was running fine the other day when he suddenly lost RPMs and the engine surged, bogging down. He said it would then pick back up, but bog down again. Sounded like the VST screen was clogged since I have had similar problems on my 200 HPDI's. He came over today and we cleaned the screen in the VST tank. Fired it back up and it idled fine, he put it in gear and went to rev and it started surging as if a rev limiter was in place. He said it never did this on the hose before. Anyone have any ideas? Here's a sideways video of it. He's on the way to the ramp to water test it now. We did not change out the silver VST canister filter, but all other filters have been changed.

[URL=http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/SquareGrouper/?action=view&current=VIDEO0011.mp4] [/URL]

Re: 2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI Surging

I would disconnect the shift cable and put it into N and see if you problem goes away, and their is no way to test the medium pressure canister so float test it, I know it is expensive but...Also see your local dealer to see if Service Bulletin O2003-004 has been completed or if your engine even falls into that catagory. Oh and FYI running it on the hose like that is okay as long as engine does not rev above 1500 rpms.