Yamaha 130 Hp 2 stroke shifts fine, then just revs when under load...Help?

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Yamaha 130hp 2 stroke V4. Great running motor but now won't go over 4 mph.

It shifts F-N-R just fine. All linkage seems to be moving properly and moving to the correct position.

When in the water it goes in forward and the boat starts moving but when you try to give it throttle it just free revs like it were in neutral and then when you bring the throttle back down it starts moving again.

On the hose it will rev up fine and the prop keeps on going. Seems like this only happens under load.

Is there something to be adjusted or does this need a new lower unit?

Also, when you shift in gear while not running the prop is tight just like it should be.

passingwindII

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 130 Hp 2 stroke shifts fine, then just revs when under load...Help?

maybe check prop. could have spun it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a spun prop hub. you can mark the prop and the hub and try to put load on it then look to see if the marks still line up to confirm, but a prop shop can press in a new rubber hub or buy a new prop of the proper size and pitch. It is always a good idea to have a spare, so have the old one repaired and keep on boat.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys....I never gave that any thought. I was ready to order a new lower unit. I will try and run it with a different prop and see what happens.