2005 Yamaha 60 hp 2 stroke with 59.5 hours questions

JoshInFL

Recruit
I am currently shopping for my first boat. I have found a 2005 pontoon boat with a 60hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The motor only has 59.5 hours since new. Owned by older folks who wintered in FL. The motor had the carbs cleaned last June when the boat was traded in. Since then, I am told the owner of the dealership has used the boat himself a couple of times around Christmas...for a boat parade. Sat since December.

Also, I see that the prop has hit something(s) as there is big chip on one blade. The prop is aluminum and the boat has a new spare included.

Am I asking for trouble by considering this motor? If not, what do I need to ask the seller to do before purchase? What are some of the issues I might run into? Worse case... I have to have the motor rebuilt...How much is that?

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to the responses.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 Yamaha 60 hp 2 stroke with 59.5 hours questions

Have it checked over completely by a trained Yamaha tech and be sure to take it for a test ride first. Those carbs could be varnished up again by now. Be sure to get a new prop, the correct one for pushing a pontoon boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2005 Yamaha 60 hp 2 stroke with 59.5 hours questions

By all means, have the spare prop put on the boat and run it. (Hopefully the spare is the same pitch as the chipped one.) If the spare is just a generic prop, ask that the #1 prop be sent to a prop shop for reconditioning.

Don't worry about a 6 year old motor with 10 hrs. per year being put on it. It's a piece of gold. You will seldom have any carb problems if it's been sitting 4 1/2 months in a warm climate.

Heck, I don't even winterize my Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke--and it's 26 years old. I just clean the carb's every 3-4 years when it starts stumbling.