Suzuki DT8C not staying running - looking for a little guidance on where to start

dman535

Cadet
I have an 1989 Suzuki DT8C on my sailboat. Just picked it up this year. Motor ran great on the stand and ran great the first few times we were out. Last night when to go out and the motor wouldn't stay running. It felt like it was a fuel problem. Bulb was hard, engine would fire under choke run for 15 seconds then shot off. It would restart in little bit with the same symptom. My initial thoughts were to pull the carb and clean it out. Are these known for fuel pump issues? Are there any parts I should have on hand before digging into the engine? Anything else I should be looking at on these as a potential fuel issue?

Would love to hear any other thoughts on things to look at.

Thanks

Derek.-

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DT8C not staying running - looking for a little guidance on where to start

Any carbureted engine is subject to gum/varnish/gunk in the carbs if the fuel is not properly treated and expecially if the engine is used infrequently. Your symptoms due indeed point to a carb issue. Don't just pull the bowl and clean it. It is the small passages and jets that get gunked up. Total disassembly and thorough cleaning is necessary.