1998 Yamaha 225HP OX-66 Fuel Pump Help PLEASE!

VaBeachGrady

Recruit
I really need some help with a laymans defintiion on how I could be told the follwing on a boat that ran fine 1 week ago.

Basically I can't start the engine. The engine will turn but not turn over and run. I tried as many times w/o risking hurting other engine parts like starter. I took it to Authorized Yammi mechanic and $275 diagnostic later, I am being told that the Fuel pump is shot which I could handle but they are also telling me that to fully diagnose the cause, the pump has to be replaced and then can tell me if it is the wiring harness ($500 more) or injectors ($300 more). I am being told the the actualy pump for my motor costs $1005 becuase of some vender thing when the mechanic said the thing is worth about $150???? They will allow me to find a cheaper pump to install but won't warrant it. Does any of this make sense?? Again boat ran fine a week ago and am being told that I will have to pay $1500 just to find out what real problem is.

Qestions:
1. AM I getting taken for a ride?
2. If not, where can I get a cheaper Feul pump for my boat.
3. Can I rebuilt or used pump be used and if so, where can I find one?
4. What woudl cause a short good enough to kill the pump and or wiring harness.

Just doesn't make sense. Please help with any and all questions.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 Yamaha 225HP OX-66 Fuel Pump Help PLEASE!

Is this a Yamaha dealer with techs that have certificates on the wall for the Yamaha system?
If not the find a place that is and see if you can make it one with a master tech.

Usually it is the trash in the fuel that locks up the pump and causes the problem not a short. There are filters all over these new motors and they can starve the pump if they plug and running that way can be hard on them.

My recommendation would be to pick up a service manual and read up on the systems or take it to a really well qualified tech to trouble shoot the problem

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1998 Yamaha 225HP OX-66 Fuel Pump Help PLEASE!

it kinda sux to have to depend on other people to fix your outboard...you can either spend the time to learn how to diagnose/fix the motor yourself or pay the money. they should be able to test the voltage going to the pump, and rule out wiring problem before changing the pump. if it is a wiring problem then your fuel pump may be fine. you can find parts on the host of this forums site. it would probably be a good idea to send the injectors out for a good cleaning/flow test. cost $25-55 per injector. and clean out the VST and replace all filters.