1986 Yamaha 70HP - Steering (Tilt Tube) Replacement

ohmerfam

Cadet
The steering ram on my 1986 Yamaha 70HP (70ETLJ) is locked up. i tried tapping the ram through the tube, but it won't budge past where it is now. So i purchased a new tube and bushings (i figured i'd use the existing washers). Now, i want to seek any guidance on doing this.

i have an A-Frame with a winch over the engine, and i think the bracket i am hooked up to in this photo is what i should be hooked up to?
dscn76482906831.jpg

Once i have the weight of the motor off the tube, i can loosen the nut on this side:
dscn76492895939.jpg

and then pull the tube free from this end:
dscn76502885317.jpg

Do i have to disassemble anything else here to do this?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
joel

jiggin joe

Cadet
Re: 1986 Yamaha 70HP - Steering (Tilt Tube) Replacement

I used WD 40 to free mine last year. Simply spray into tube. The grease will break down and drain out eventually but requires patience and many sprays while working the shaft a bit at a time. When shaft does come out you can clean tube with gun barrel wire brush or similar tool. Your lift point looks good but if you can get shaft out and clean tube you won't have to disassemble. Good luck.

ohmerfam

Cadet
Re: 1986 Yamaha 70HP - Steering (Tilt Tube) Replacement

Thanks for the input, Joe!

i got tired of whacking on that steering ram, so i replaced the tube and now i have the new steering rod into the new tube (kinda had to guide the ram into the tube while pushing the tube through the pivot holes on the bracket ... but it worked! The guy at the local Yamaha shop was amazed that i didn't have to pull the entire engine off the boat.

Thanks, again! :)