1988 Yamaha 130EXTG. Must return shift shaft to neutral position.

jeff111

Cadet
While changing the water pump I somehow changed the shift shaft position. I believe it is in forward because turning the vertical shaft clockwise turns the prop clockwise. Can I turn the shift shaft manually and if so about how far (1/4 turn, 1/2 turn etc.) and in what direction (CW, CCW)? Thanks!

Re: 1988 Yamaha 130EXTG. Must return shift shaft to neutral position.

I don't recall but if you find neutral fwd will be one direction and rev the other. So if you find neutral and turn the shift shaft to the right; rotate the driveshaft in a clockwise direction and watch the prop, if prop turns clockwise it is in fwd, if prop turns CCW it is in reverse.

jeff111

Cadet
Re: 1988 Yamaha 130EXTG. Must return shift shaft to neutral position.

OK, I figured it out. For the record then (at least in my model, 1988 Yamaha 130 EXTG) the lower shift shaft positions are as follows: from the neutral position, 1/8 turn CCW is forward. From neutral, 1/8 turn CW is reverse. Of course the upper shift shaft when viewed from below is reversed.
I was stuck in forward, so to return to neutral I needed to turn the lower shaft 1/8 turn CW.
Hope this helps anyone in the future. I think I knocked it out of neutral to begin with by turning the vertical shaft CCW. Only turn it CW!