2010 6 hp Yamaha 4 stroke wont run with choke in.

stuart3311

Recruit
I need some assistance in troubleshooting a problem with a 2010 6 hp Yamaha 4 stroke that won't run with choke in. The SELCO manual for Yamaha 4 stroke outboards does not seem to address the problem in the trouble shooting section.

The symptoms came on slowly after buying fuel for the outboard in the Abacos. At first the engine would run only with the choke half way out after starting. The problem has progressed and now the engine will only run if the choke is left pulled out after starting.

I have removed and blown out the fuel filter, disposed of the old gas, purchased new gas that with an octane rating of 90 that is ethanol free. I have also added a fuel additive to the new gas which kills algae growth. After these steps were taken the problem still persists even after a few days of the fuel sitting in the carburetor.

Do I need to remove and clean the carburetor or is there another step that should be taken first?

Thank you in advance helping.

Stuart

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2010 6 hp Yamaha 4 stroke wont run with choke in.

A 2010 engine should not be experiencing a carburetor problem so there are other things to check first. Start the engine and squeeze the primer bulb repeatedly while pushing the choke off. If the engine continues to run then the fuel pump is suspect. It may also point to a problem with the fuel line (air leakage at joints) or an obstruction in the tank. Try running the engine on a different tank if possible. If the tank has a vent knob, ensure it is open when running the engine. If the fuel pump, line, and tank are all ok, then a carb cleaning is suggested.

robert graham

Admiral

Your choke is overcoming a lean fuel issue. Check entire fuel system from tank through carb. Can you drain the carb to check for water/debris in float chamber? Good Luck!

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

At minimum your idle circuit is clogged, and possibly main jet/fuel passage. The fact that you let it go so long without properly diagnosing and repairing it may mean you will have to purchase a new carburetor since the passages in small four stroke outboards are so small that sometimes they cannot be cleaned. We put all carbs through a $1500 ultrasonic carb cleaner as that is the only way to properly clean them, and even then, they sometimes have to be replaced.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

All of which could be avoided by continuous use of fuel system treatments like SeaFoam -- before issues crop up and especially before winter storage.

If you take some carb spray and in short burst spray the outside of the carb around the intake manifold/carb meeting place and throttle valve hinge pin;if rpms picks up you have an air leak. Mercury has put out a service bulletin about purchasing a new carb do to fuel issues. Maybe Exxon/Mobil can buy you a new one raking in 1/4 of a trillion dollars last quarter.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about Yamaha warranty ?
Use it that's what it's for.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Warranty does not cover bad fuel, old fuel,water or trash in fuel that plugs passages, as they can not control what you put in the tank.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I would understand that if this happens repeatedly that they would decline
to fix it but I'm sure that good dealer will help out with motor that is less than year old.
It would be only incentive for the customer to come back to purchase next outboard.
Also how do you know that the clog is not particle that was forgotten from manufacturing ?