suzuki dt140 dies

kyle12345

Cadet
:eek:Hello,
I have a 98suzuki dt140 that after running awhile will die. I squeeze the primer bulb and the motor will start again and run for about two minutes and then die again. I tested the motor with a piece of clear tubing and there are no air bubbles. Ran the motor with a vaccuum gauge and it read 3 while running at 1500 rpms. After the motor died I removed the fuel line where it goes into the vapor seperator and there was fuel at that point. I pulled the vapor seperator apart and there was no dirt in the bowl and the float and needle operated freely. I think Im down to the high pressure fuel pump or the pressure regulator. Is there anyway to test these? Any other opinions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help.:eek:

passingwindII

Seaman
Re: suzuki dt140 dies

replace primer bulb. had same problem last season. boat ran than died pump primer ran than died.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Monitor the fuel pressures while the problems are happening to see where the restriction is.

kyle12345

Cadet

Is there a particular brand of primer bulb that is better than others?
Thanks

Hottip

Cadet

I think the primer buld answer is the correct path , I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the problem and it came down to the primer bulb.

kyle12345

Cadet

I did the vaccuum test with the clear tubing and when the motor died, the clear tubing was still full of fuel. Could the bulb still be the problem even though there were no air bubbles and line still full of fuel?
Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Clear tube just show if it is or is not sucking any air into the system.
What did your vacuum gauge tell you?

kyle12345

Cadet

My gauge read a steady 3 while running at about 1500 rpm. I think I need to do the test again though at full throttle. Will post results when I can do the test. (live in wisconsin and temp has dropped between 25 at night and 40 during the day)