suzuki dt200 water inside cowling

hutchinsglen

Recruit
the engine in question is a 2000 dt200 . the engine is running perfectly but lately when we come in i am finding water in the bottom of the engine cowling.we have dried out the area and put on a hose at the house and can find no apparent cooling leaks or water filling up the engine compartment. but as soon as we drop it in the water and run for 10 minutes there is a couple of inches in the rear of the cowling. when i fill the cowling manually with a hose water appears to leak down the lower unit from behind the cowling cover on the front of the engine by the main steering yoke. any advise would be appreciated as to what posible seal is leaking. the main engine cover gasket is in excelant shape. thank you

CobraCommander

Recruit
Re: suzuki dt200 water inside cowling

I had that problem. Turns out I had a hole on the block. Take off the housing where the coils go located inbetween the cylinder heads and keep an eye in that area while the engine is running.

boatkpny

Cadet

I had the same problem - hole in the block - Suzuki says that this is normal for a 14 year old engine - I say that they are ripping off the customer

deejaycee_2000

Captain

It should drain straight away .... but I would suggest running the motor like you normally do without the cover and have someone look where the water comes from when you drive ... my racing motors fill up with water, that is why I have a old towel in the tray ...