86 Yamaha 40hp Tiller motor

Mikesam10

Recruit
Im looking for help with my motor. I do not know much about outboard motors. The motor will turn over if I take the spark plugs out, but when I put them on it seems to build pressure and will not let starter spin the fly wheel. Acts like battery is dead, but have charger/jumper hooked up... Is this fishing season gonna be from shore?

So Im not sure if there is a compression release switch, and if so where is it?

Also wondering if anyone else has had this issue such as this...

Thanks
Mike

40ELJ 6H4 L 408362

Mikesam10

Recruit
Re: 86 Yamaha 40hp Tiller motor

After further investigaton I found a 4inch arm, that must control the oil injection, was disconnected. So I assume it got too much oil or not enough... the plugs look like doused in oil and spraying carb cleaner in there is loosening everything up... So hoping it got too much oil and just needs cleaning... Manual is on its way just gettin anxious about figuring it out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Remove the spark plugs and spin the enigne with the starter to expel the excess oil. DO NOT spray carb cleaner into the engine. It has no lubricant and will wash the cylinder walls causing piston and/or cylinder wall scoring. Fix the injector arm and then start it up.

Mikesam10

Recruit

Ok thanks I did put some Marvs Mystery oil in there in the beginning, i will try that out