06 90 HP 4 Stroke Suzuki Looses Power at 6k RPM

Bull Dawg

Recruit
Here is what is going on.........

Sunday I went to the lake and ran the boat, it did great until the end when we were heading back to the ramp. About half way to the ramp I decided to run at full throttle, when I did it idled up and the rpms climbed as they should. All of the sudden the motor cuts WAY back to idle and so I jerk it down into neutral, once the boat slows down then I get it more gas again and up to about 4k RPM its fine, but once you get over 4500 or really 5000 it will do the same thing over and over. It did it to me about 4 or 5 times, I checked the throttle linkage and they are all connected and tight, no play. There is PLENTY of fuel in the talk (roughly 9-10 gal) and it will NOT do it below 4500 rpms. I have looked and can NOT for the life of me figure it out. I have found the bulb that is in the fuel line and when I squeeze it, it never gets hard (4-5 times) and when I squeeze the bulb you can hear and see the slightest bit of air & bubbles at the actual connection of the quick connect, not where the line connects to the fitting but where the 2 parts of the connector go together. I have released and re-sat the line of the connector but same prob is still there, bowing air from that joint.

I do know that since the boat was purchased (2007), and I am ashamed to say this, but nothing has ever been serviced or changed in relation to the filters/oil/lubricants. Finally, I do have a water/fuel separator in line thats never been changed.

Does anybody know anything other than carrying to the shop?

I am new to the site but thank you in advance for your help. A member of the "Carolina Skiff Owners.com" site recommended me posting in here as well to get information.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 06 90 HP 4 Stroke Suzuki Looses Power at 6k RPM

First -- understand that the primer bulb gets firm only when squeezed with the engine NOT running. Once the engine is running fuel is "sucked" through the line and primer bulb so it will not stay firm. It must however, never be sucked flat. That said, since you see air bubbles at the connector, the connector obviously needs to be replaced. The engine cannot suck fuel if it is also sucking air. While you may not be aware of it (clearly pointed out in your warranty and service documents) that valve adjustment checks are required at specific intervals. Lower unit lube should also be changed annually. Fuel filters also need changing. You have a fuel injected engine. Mistreat it and it will mistreat your wallet in a way you don't want to experience.

Bull Dawg

Recruit

Silvertip,

Yes, I was squeezing the bulb last night while the engine was not running. I understand that it has been mistreated and now I am paying for it.

I smelled what you were stepping in and I picked up what you put down.
Any other suggestions as to what the prob could be?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Check to make sure your alarm system work to start out with and there are not some problems happening with out your knowlage.
Then check fuel pressures to see what is going on