Suzuki DT40 no reverse , accelerate forward instead...

pat72

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I installed recently a used Suzuki DT40 on my boat and went to test it today. Forward and neutral are fine but as I move the lever back the motor doesn't go into reverse and actually accelerate the boat forward if I keep pulling back.
Any idea what could be wrong?
Thanks

pat72

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suzuki DT40 no reverse , accelerate forward instead...

Actually, it looks like I'm stuck in forward only.
Also I don't see the shift connector moving as I move the remote control lever back and forth. How do I tackle this problem?
I remember hearing a pop as I moved the lever before I took the boat out and I'm starting to wonder if I broke something.
I have the Suzuki shop manual but this being my first outboard, I could use the help of anybody willing to pitch in a few suggestions.
Thanks a lot.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Disconnect the shift cable from the motor and see if the remote control is moving the cable and then see if the shift linkage on the motor will move.

pat72

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the shift cable moves as well as the piece connected to it by the motor. However, the vertical shift connector doesn't move at all.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Well then look closely and see what has come apart or broken

pat72

Seaman Apprentice

don't see anything broken by the motor and unless I start taking things apart...
Something is definitly broken or came apart somewhere.

pat72

Seaman Apprentice

This squared rod (see pic) does rotate when I move the remote control lever but I can't see what where it's going. If whatever connects this rod to the vertical shift shaft is broken or disconnected, I really don't know how I am going to get to it (can't even see it!! :(:().

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0

pat72

Seaman Apprentice

Got to it by removing oil tank. Clutch rod arm was broken (plastic). Thanks for the help.