help get 40hp Suzuki running

mike__b

Seaman
I ended up buying a non-running 1988 DT40. It looks mechanically sound, but right now, it has electrical issues. It won't crank over, I thought it was the switch, but I think it is more central to the wiring.

Does anyone have a basic wiring diagram? If we jump the starter solenoid, the starter will run. But nothing works, trim buttons, starter, nothing. The starting switch "key" is missing, is there a way around this?

Can anyone help me understand what electrical changes I will need to make to convert to a tiller? The remote currently has a long cable that plugs into the main wiring harness. Is there a replacement for this on tiller models?

Can anyone post some pics of where these buttons go on a tiller model? Start, kill, choke, etc?

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: help get 40hp Suzuki running

You will not likely get detailed information in this forum since you are asking for a great deal of conversion work. Your best bet is to buy a Suzy service manual specific to your engine. It will contain pictures and illustrations of all the pieces necessary to convert from remote to tiller operation. You really should have bought a tiller steer motor since locating parts for this is a time consuming process unless you stumble onto a tiller motor that is otherwise trashed. As for the electrical, why not just move the key switch and kill switch from the helm to a box at the stern and then shorten the cable. That would leave you with the tiller conversion.

mike__b

Seaman

Well, I had a lead on a tiller handle with throttle cables, etc and I got this DT40TC for practically nothing. It isn't seized, but it "hasn't been run in years". It was full of mice and kinda nasty. I've done some continuity tests, and I think there may be a couple broken conductors. I still need to get a magnetic key, but I've shorted across the 12v, ignition and start wires and nothing happens. I think the ground is lost somewhere in the wiring harness.

My current plan is to rebuild / create my own harness, and save the remote harness stuff. And just wire up an ignition switch, kill, trim buttons, etc on my own (ordering bullet connectors to avoid cutting existing wires).

About the only part I haven't found yet is the throttle cable holder for the tiller cables. Where it should go is a holder for the wiring harness to the remote.
If I can get it rewired, add a tiller, and rebuild the carb / clean everything... it'll be a good deal for a 40hp motor.

I have bypassed the relays for trim, and I hear the motor "hiss" for about 2 seconds then stop, wait 4 seconds, then "hiss" for 2 more seconds. It is currently in the down position. So I'll need to figure out how to refill that pump and may end up replacing some seals as they look a bit cracked.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You need to find out if the cylinders and the crank and bearings are rust pitted, and if there is good compression on all cylinders before you go very far with this as it may not be worth it.
A motor that has set up for years without the proper fogging for long term storage could have major problems.

OBC1

Recruit

got to browns marine they web site has alot info and micofische on suzuki's you can also call them