replace lower casing on 1994 yamaha 9.9

carroll ertel

Recruit
I have a cracked lower casing with a piece broken out just below the rectangular cover plate on the side . I don't know whether to try to weld the piece back in and then fiber glass over it to seal everything up or try to find a used lower casing and replace it . I am not sure how tough a job it is to tear it apart and replace it . I assume the casing is supposed to be hollow to transport exhaust gasses to the lower unit . I've read that i could use a 1994 or 95 casing . The crack was there when i bought the engine and the first year i fiber glassed over it and painted it but after six months it cracked and later separated into a much wider gap . The mettle has deteriorated with some white powder residue inside .
The area affected is about as big as my open hand . Does anyone have any advice about repairing it or finding a replacement from a old used motor and the replacement procedure ?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: replace lower casing on 1994 yamaha 9.9

A photograph would help a lot for folks to get an idea of the location and size of this crack, and any repair or replacement options.