2004 Yamaha 90 4-stroke Trim Works but Gauge Doesn't

silkcityflorida

Recruit
I have a 2004 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke on a 22ft AquaPatio pontoon boat.

The tilt/trim mechanism works fine, but the gauge does not respond. I suspect the gauge would work fine over the long haul, but things (life) have gotten in the way over the last few years, and the boat has sat for months at a time (6 months max).

Whenever I finally have taken the boat in for its annual inspection and tune up, I tell them this and they fix it but it only stays fixed for a short period of time.

This year, after the boat sat unused for quite a while due to health problems, I am trying to put the boat into shape for anticipated weekly use, but am not planning on taking it in for service for another 5 months.

How can I diagnose the problem with the trim gauge? I have reviewed the manuals I can find, and they all discuss maintenance on the trim/tilt system, but none of them discuss how to make the gauge work.

The maintenance guys have always said the gauge is fine, that the problem is that the "actuator" or whatever they call it is stuck and needs to be lubricated, but I'll be danged if I can find where that is.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2004 Yamaha 90 4-stroke Trim Works but Gauge Doesn't

It's a small(maybe 2")black plastic arm that moves up and down as your motor moves...look under your motor bracket. Good Luck!

silkcityflorida

Recruit

I have the boat on a lift, and when it is raised up high enough, I have a work platform I suspend behind the boat. With the motor tilted all the way up, I have looked and looked and can find no such thing -- obviously looking at the wrong section.

On page 4/22 of the Yamaha F90C Owner's Manual, I see a diagram of the Trim and Tilt System. I can see that the trim and tiilt rod is fully extended, but when I look I cannot see anything in the way of a 2" black plastic arm.

Can you or anyone point me to a book or a web site that will show this black plastic arm so I can better understand what I am looking for?

silkcityflorida

Recruit

Well, I believe I found it. Unfortunately, after I began to spray it with WD-40 and work it back and forth to loosen it up, it broke off in my hand. It appears some of the metal parts that are involved in attaching the small plastic arm to the sending unit had corroded. So, now it seems I need to loosen the 2 screws that hold the whole unit in place and remove it so I can replace it, once I find a replacement. I have heard one can get a metal unit rather than a plastic one, which theoretically would last longer. Does anyone know or can anyone point me to a schematic so I know what part number to order search for?