1996 yamaha saltwater series 2 150 hp overheat question

mattkinz

Cadet
I am buying a used ss 2 150 engine. It was manufactured in 1996 but sold as 1997 model.

I just bought a 703 controller. The controller (I thought ) had an integral overheat alarm in the side controller but the unit I received has no buzzer inside. Did I get a proper control? or does anyone know if the engine has automated overheat down throttling?

I just destroyed a 1985 Evinrude by overheating it and don't want a repeat performance. :confused:

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1996 yamaha saltwater series 2 150 hp overheat question

here is a link to a diagram of a 703..the buzzer is number 55. you should have one in there, or maybe it is bad/missing...but you defiantly need one...I got a cheap 12v buzzer from radio shack and ran the wires out of my controller...but it is only $30 for the OEM....test it often. over heated engines sux

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Seems like I remember reading about someone sticking one of those pezzo radio shack buzzers in a Yamaha control and it caused some electrical problems for the motor, I just cannot remember Exactly what the symptoms were. I would recommend sticking with the Yamaha parts

Sparkie
did you do that to the Yamaha you have in the shop right now? If so I would let them know before they spend too many hours trouble shooting and cost you extra if that turns out to be a problem.

mattkinz

Cadet

here is a link to a diagram of a 703..the buzzer is number 55. you should have one in there, or maybe it is bad/missing...but you defiantly need one...I got a cheap 12v buzzer from radio shack and ran the wires out of my controller...but it is only $30 for the OEM....test it often. over heated engines sux

What link? I have the paperwork on the 703 that came with unit and don't see the buzzer where it is supposed to be. please email me link if cannot put into forum. thanks mkinz@hotmail.com If it is missing, how would I wire it in? MK