1986 Yamaha 115 2 stroke Oil level sensor popped out of main tank

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am new to Yamaha's and when I was try to crank my new to me Yamaha 115 the battery was too weak to crank the motor. I got a jump box that was also weak and tried to start it before finally getting another battery to jump it. I took the cowl off before I jumped it and noticed that oil was leaking out of the main oil tank on the motor because the oil level sensor had popped out of its hole. I tried to push it back it, but there was too much oil/pressure for it to seat properly.

I then jumped the motor with the oil level sensor our and when the motor started I pushede the sensor back in and it stayed seated. Does any one have any idea why it would pop out to begin with?

I ran the boat for about an hour after it started to help charge the battery and it ran good and the sensor stayed in. I am not real confident in the prior owners wiring up of the sub tank to the main tank as it is not a factory harness and not up to my standards in general. Wiring is subpar in several areas of the boat imo. Thankfully most items retain the factory harnesses. Soea nay one know if this is a common problem? I could not find any thing on it in the service manual and no lights or horns sounded, but I am not sure the warning horn works just yet.