200 Suzuki damaged impeller...Should I be concerned?

G-Money

Cadet
I was told by a mechanic in '09 that when they removed the l/u of my '06 Suzuki 200 to check for another problem they would replace the impeller while they had it out. Well, I went to change it this week and found this...

2371526040061306662S500x500Q85.jpg

2595181670061306662S500x500Q85.jpg

I don't think it was changed ~18 months and 100 hours ago!

Do I need to worry about where the broken pieces of impeller went or do you think they would have passed through the cooling system?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 200 Suzuki damaged impeller...Should I be concerned?

Looks like some pretty good sized chunks, but hopefully they were chewed up enough to pass through your cooling sytem, otherwise they may still be in there. You could pull the side covers off and the thermostat out to try and check for the pieces. A piece of rubber would need to get ground up pretty small to pass through your tell-tale tube and out. Maybe the impeller was installed wrong(like upside down or with blades turned wrong) or motor was run dry for a few minutes causing it to overheat and tear up. Good Luck!

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

WAS IT OVERHEATING? If not flush and put a new impeller in and keep an eye on it

G-Money

Cadet

Thanks for the replies! It wasn't running hot when I last used it in the fall, I was just getting it ready for the season.

EDIT: After thinking about, I also flush and backflush it after each use, so hopefully any pieces were forced out.

robert graham

Admiral

You're probably and hopefully O.K., but I'm sure you'd feel better if you really knew where those rubber pieces went. Maybe just run it and keep an eye on the cooling system. If/when you ever remove the covers, then maybe you'll find those rubber pieces stuck up in there. I'd still wonder what caused that impeller to break up like that. Good Luck!

RiverRunner38

Recruit

I wouldn't be concerned with it if it hasn't overheated yet, although i would keep an eye on it to make sure they (rubber pieces) aren't stuck in the cooling system just turned sideways and letting just enough water through to keep the engine cool. Best of luck!

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is the worst impeller damage I have ever seen. I don't know how that engine is not running hot. Are all your warning systems working?

G-Money

Cadet

That is the worst impeller damage I have ever seen. I don't know how that engine is not running hot. Are all your warning systems working?

Yes, they are working fine and the p-stream was strong even before the change.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

its still moving water. unless is way over taxed it should be fine.