2003 Yamaha 175 blown powerhead

mike schmidt

Recruit
My Yamaha Z175 HPDI with only 200 hours on it ran out of fuel due to frozen condensation in the fuel tank which blocked fuel flow.Overheated one cylinder and damaged the powerhead beyond repair. The dealer Parker Marine in Campbell River B.C did not tell me running out of fuel could cause this nor did the owners manual say anything to forwarn me this could happen. My warranty has since expired and Yamaha Canada refuses to help me in any way at all. A new powerhead installed is over $11,000.00. I feel totally ripped off by Yamaha. Is there anybody out there with powerhead problems they dont deserve?:mad:

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2003 Yamaha 175 blown powerhead

dude, it isn't yamaha's fault you had water in the fuel....and running out of fuel didn't cause this....running lean did this...you didn't run out of fuel...there was enough fuel to run the engine but not enough to run it correctly...the engine ran lean causing the damage....it happens quite a bit in frozen climes when people don't take the proper precautions....i've known Yamaha to give free parts for people who have made mistakes in various ways but the won't give you a powerhead for allowing water in your fuel....duhhh

jp10

Seaman

dude, it isn't yamaha's fault you had water in the fuel....and running out of fuel didn't cause this....running lean did this...you didn't run out of fuel...there was enough fuel to run the engine but not enough to run it correctly...the engine ran lean causing the damage....it happens quite a bit in frozen climes when people don't take the proper precautions....i've known Yamaha to give free parts for people who have made mistakes in various ways but the won't give you a powerhead for allowing water in your fuel....duhhh

Seriously McFly, this one is your fault 100%, not Yamaha. ;)

robert graham

Admiral

My Yamaha Z175 HPDI with only 200 hours on it ran out of fuel due to frozen condensation in the fuel tank which blocked fuel flow.Overheated one cylinder and damaged the powerhead beyond repair. The dealer Parker Marine in Campbell River B.C did not tell me running out of fuel could cause this nor did the owners manual say anything to forwarn me this could happen. My warranty has since expired and Yamaha Canada refuses to help me in any way at all. A new powerhead installed is over $11,000.00. I feel totally ripped off by Yamaha. Is there anybody out there with powerhead problems they dont deserve?:mad:
Hopefully you can locate and install a good used or rebuilt powerhead for something less than $11k Yamaha wants for a new one. Sorry for your troubles! Good Luck!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If the fuel line was restricted to the point the fuel pumps would not keep the pressure up to the proper amount, then all cylinders would be running lean not just one and the motor would just shut off if no fuel was present. If there was water in the fuel then you have to wonder how much of it traveled into the motor and caused other problems
I believe you had some other problem such as an injector screen restricted if it only effected one cylinder or you had an over heat from something else, maybe blocked cooling passage. But I would think that would have gotten more than one cylinder also