urgent, going to buy a yamaha 115 enduro tomorrow, compression should be?

hibridge

Cadet
Hi all,
Repalcing my old 90 force with a 2000 yamaha enduro 115. Motor looks good and sounds good on the rack. checked compression and was 100,100,100,105. They seem to be in range but I wonder what a new motor have and how much life is left? Any help would really be nice!
Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: urgent, going to buy a yamaha 115 enduro tomorrow, compression should be?

probably a lot of life left in that one..I would do a decarb also..may raise that psi some..take care of it and it will probably do good for you.

robert graham

Admiral

Those compression numbers sound good and consistent between cylinders, but a very good idea to do about an hour sea trial in the river, running it at all RPM's from cold starting, idle to wide open....good way to be sure what you've got before you lay down your money$$ If it's a saltwater motor then better check it over carefully, because 10 years in saltwater is a long time! Good Luck!

SparkieBoat

Captain

I agree with a sea trial if possible...I have purchased a lot of motors and you just can not tell if a motor is really in good condition or not with out an extended sea trial at various RPM ranges. I just will not pay top dollar for a motor with out one, unless they are willing to give me a short warranty and I feel I can trust them. I cannot remember ever buying a motor that I did not almost immediately have to do something to. these newer EFI/HPDI models are very difficult to diagnose without a computer..if you are shucking out thousands of dollars on a EFI/HPDI..pay a dealer to do a computer diagnostic before you purchase..most sellers will accommodate this.