Strange overheat twin 1996 200hp SWII Yamaha

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
I ran a boat this weekend that seemed to have good water pressure, and would over heat over 4000 rpm. Poppet valves right? Pulled them out and one was a bit stuck but nothing too crazy. I updated them with the new style and the boat runs just fine up to 4000 rpm or so and warnings go off same problem.

This boat ran fine for years, nothing has been changed as far a set-up.

Ideas?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Strange overheat twin 1996 200hp SWII Yamaha posted corrected

Any chance you rebuilt the water pump before this happened? FRED

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

No. Is there a common part missed or something?

The History is that the motors started doing this about a year ago. Owner Had a guy (Not Yamaha cert) look at it. He pulled the T-stats and said the heads would have to come off for cleaning. This dosen't make sense as when I pulled the poppet valves these motors looked nice and clean, just a hair of salt on the port motor. I know these motors are flushed every time the boat is run. Lots of salt away has been pumped through the blocks but I think their on the wrong track.

Ideas?

Could it be just a bad temp sensor?

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

I just found this quote from RB:

"bad sensor or scale inside the block and water jackets, are you positive the flashing indictor was temp and not oil ? could be a bad T-stat as well. a temp gun or melt stick will aide in testing what is going on. the 90 200 yamaha should run around 145 degrees or so. "

I am going to shoot the lazer temp and keep an eye on the oil lamp

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

I took Rod Bolt's advice and shot the heads with temp lazer. Everyting was right around 140ish all the way to wot and bang over heat alarm. We made several passes and "overheats" and never saw anything that was over 150ish.

I pulled the brown wire on the Port bank on Port motor and wooola! No over heat to WOT. I kept the lazer on the head the whole time. Nice and cool.

So I guess it is time for that temp sensor to come out. Hey it is only 14 years old.

Should I buy 1 or 4?

Mac

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

pull them and test them to see if they are functioning properly. You could still have a hot spot if the sensors are functioning the way they are suppose to.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

pull them and test them to see if they are functioning properly. You could still have a hot spot if the sensors are functioning the way they are suppose to.

Do you have a good test procedure?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I do not know if yours has switches or sensors, but put in a pan of water and monitor the temperature as you heat it up and see if they are in spec per the manual for your motor.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Spoke with a Yamaha tech who said sensor rarely goes bad. His opinion was to pull the sensor and shoot in the sensor mounting hole to make sure I am not getting 190 hot spot.

Since the boat has twins I am going to move the questionable sensor to the other motor. If the problem moves then it is the sensor and I have a brand new one in my tool box ready to go now.

He was pulled out a head that was covered in "scale" that was having a simmlar problem. So now I know what to look for if I have to pull the heads.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

I found this post by WilleBright:

"I'm betting that you first noticed it at full throttle only and as time goes by, at lower and lower throttle. It will continue to decline with use.

My experience is that such alarms are caused by scale build-up on the outer walls of the cylinders in the block and in the heads. That insulates the aluminum from the cooling water and the heat stays in rather than transferring to the water. I'm afraid that a thermosensor won't detect this condition because the outer cooling surfaces don't get as much build-up and the block will show normal temperatures.

To remove the scale, the heads have to come off. Then lay them flat on their backs and fill the cooling cavities with vinegar or milkstone remover (a farm supply product). The scale on the outside of the cylinder walls can be removed manually with an old toothbrush and milkstone remover. Protect electrical components when you do this, and wear protective goggles and rubber gloves. And definately do it outside where there's plenty of ventilation.

Once done and reassembled, run plenty of fresh water through the motor to clean out the residual acid. Do not use muriatic acid or Zing. Those eat aluminum. Milkstone remover doesn't. A very similar product to milkstone remover is called Acid Wash. They are both phosphoric acids. They come by the gallon and are rather inexpensive. "

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

They are simple to test and will tell you if the sensor is functioning properly, so why not test.
Testing is always better that swapping or replacing parts and hoping or the best.
If they test good then you know for a fact it has to be a hot spot