Hard shifting Suzuki DT85 into reverse

dogdad

Cadet
Greetings ?

I have a new-to-me 1999 Suzuki DT85 on a 17 ft Key Largo that has probably spent its life in/near salt-water. It runs fine and is in good shape, and looks like it may be a keeper for quite awhile.

However, shifting into reverse seems to be very hard (compared to shifting into neutral or forward), almost as if it?s binding somewhere. I disconnected the shift cable and it is smooth and even throughout the full range of the console shift-lever, so that?s not the issue. But with the shift cable disconnected, I tried to move the shifter on the engine and it was very hard, leading me to believe the problem is somewhere in either the shift-shaft itself or in the lower unit/gearbox.

I dug thru some posts here and also looked in the Seloc and Suzuki repair manuals as well as the Suzuki parts manual, but haven?t found anything that would help diagnose any further. I?ve rebuilt cars and such in the past, so I know which end of a wrench is which, but have never broken open the bottom-end of an outboard.

I am mindful of its probable salty history and all that it might entail, but I am remaining optimistic. I?d appreciate any guidance (or hand-holding) as to where to go next with this. Is it something that can popped open fairly easy to check or make adjustments, clearances, etc, or do I need to get ready for major surgery? Everything I?ve seen so far indicates that there are some adjustments (clutches maybe?) that might help ease the hard-shifting, but haven?t found anything that directly points to where to start.

Thanks in advance.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard shifting Suzuki DT85 into reverse

What do you mean hard shifting?
Is this while the motor is running? Or with motor off?

one of the shafts needs to be turning for it to go into reverse because of gear and clutch alignment is not always where they need to be when motor is not running

dogdad

Cadet

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is while running (idling), and it's a single-lever shifter (says 'Suzuki' on the shift-pedestal). From neutral to forward (and back again), shifting is smooth and positive and feels similar to the pressure when moving the lever thru the throttle range. It's when going into/out of reverse that it takes a lot more pressure to get it to shift, to the point that I sometimes 'overshoot' when going into reverse and end up revving the throttle. Same when coming out of reverse.

The linkage at the cable-ends in the engine looks to be plastic, and I'm wondering if I may end up breaking it from the heavy force.

Hope that all helps.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

have you changed the lower unit oil or look to see if it was full and clean?

dogdad

Cadet

Yup, changed the oil, looks clean with no shiny filings or milky-colored.

I should add that i don't know if this is a new problem or has been coming on slowly, as I just got the boat and didn't notice any difficulty during trials (nor did the previous owner volunteer anything). Just seems that after the initial "WHOO-HOOO!" started to wear off, I noticed it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sorry but not familiar with that motor, but you may drop the lower unit and check to see if the linkage is binding or if it is inside the gears box

James R

Commander

Without going into the drawings I think you have the turnbuckle style shift disconnect down at the lower unit. Usually two 10mm open end wrenches and you can disconnect the shift. This will enable you to check the lever system under the power head to see if that is what is stiff. Not likely but one never knows.

Bobmat

Recruit

I also have shifting problems with my 1999 Suzuki DT200, will not go in Reverse sometimes, I have replace both control cables but still have same problem, it seem like it not rigged for enought and
it Revs up instead Any ideas?
thanks
Bobmat

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i own dt75, drop lower unit. you should do it anyway and replace water pump impellar.once its down everything will become aparent.warring salt water motors may break bolts.once lower unit is down replace prop shaft seals. you will then be able to see how forward and reverse works. I've been an autotech for 20 years just started playing with boats. i have suzuki factory manual helped alot. sorry to get off topic, there is a gear that slides on prop shaft to engauge forward and reverse. most likely shify linkage inside is binding

James R

Commander

Bobmat you should start your own thread, however you may want to disconnect the shift cable at the motor and look for slop in the shift cross shaft. This is supported by plastic clamps which act as bearings. These can wear and in stead of the shift rod moving up and down to the correct positions the cross shaft moves instead.

dogdad

Cadet

James R -
Thanks for the idea so far. I looked, and don't see any way to get into the lower unit without dropping it. In the parts diagram I have, it looks like there's a plate or section that could come off so's I could get to the lower part of the shift linkage but not on mine (it's a 1999). Are you saying I disconnect the shaft up top (under the carbs) and then drop everything?

Stylesabu -
Is your lower unit like mine with no access plate? Did you drop the lower unit in one piece? And how did you resolve the issue of getting it to line up again afterwards (per your earlier post)?

TIA

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes you have to drop lower unit. if its been in saltwater,start soaking it in penitrating oil.my was fresh water came apart easy, a back up motor that i bought was saltwater. night and day differance.saltwater sucks. be patient. good luck, replace water pump and seals as long as your in the lower unit.