2006 Yamaha 8hp will not go into reverse, how do you disconnect the shift linkage?

bnut60

Recruit
Tried lowering the gearcase and can't find the disconnect for the shift linkage. Any thoughts?? Model # 8MSH

dbs52a

Cadet
Re: 2006 Yamaha 8hp will not go into reverse, how do you disconnect the shift linkage

I just bought a 2005 Yamaha 8 h.p. same as yours yesterday. Already pulled the carb apart for cleaning. I was planning on pulling the bottom end tomorrow but I probably should wait to see what answers you get before I get myself into a fix.

Sorry I wasn't able to help. Can't find any online manuals for this engine either.

dbs52a

Cadet
Re: 2006 Yamaha 8hp will not go into reverse, how do you disconnect the shift linkage

Not to be pushy, but doesn't anyone here have some input for this request? Does anyone have a page from a shop manual that could be posted to help guide the OP and possibly myself? I also want to pull the bottom end off of my 8 h.p. engine and would really be thankful to have a little insight before I do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bnut60

Recruit

I just figured it out, thanks.

Prop shaft and drive sheared. I try to post pics......

dbs52a

Cadet

I just figured it out, thanks.

Prop shaft and drive sheared. I try to post pics......

Sorry to hear that. What happened?

I just finished pulling the bottom end to do an impeller inspection. These things aren't quite as easy to work on as my other engines. I found that getting the boot for the shift shaft back in on the bottom end to be a bit tricky. A little marine grease helped.

Good thing we have each other to provide assistance. For a boating forum, they're not exactly "jumping into the boat" to help. Maybe it's because we're talking single digit horse power. Unless of course, you and I are the only participants with small Yamaha outboards.