Yamaha oil injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

colayn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
99 Yamaha Vmax P150TLRX
First engine I have owned that I did not need to premix oil and fuel.
How dependable is this injection system?
What preventative maintenance needs to be done to keep it working well ?

Jay Martin

Cadet
Re: Yamaha oil injection

Don't touch it, it is a very dependable system. Just add oil and go. I replaced my pump this past summer just for piece of mind, it had over 800 hours on it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I would think your manual will give the necessary steps to clean and test system as normal PPM.
You should be able to find some info from Rodbolt on this if you do a forum search

littlejohn2458

Seaman Apprentice

Yamaha oil injection system is one of the best on the market. Its a really really good system. They use mikuni oil pumps. I have never seen one fail!

SBH2OMan

Seaman

Do a search on eBay for the CD based factory manuals. Super handy - for about $9 you get all the OEM shop manuals, with the maintenance schedules, specifications and test routines. When you want to work on the motor, you just print the sections you need so you are not getting a $90 manual all greasy. :)

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yeah good idea, support some manual copying scammer, copyright means nothing anyway.

SBH2OMan

Seaman

yeah good idea, support some manual copying scammer, copyright means nothing anyway.

Call me naive but I assumed they are legit; companies tend to pursue this stuff pretty aggressively, especially when its so easy to track someone down on eBay. Perhaps I should have checked it out first.

I find the format much more convenient than a paper manual. Since this is obviously an area of passion for you, noelm, can you suggest a legitimate source for CD-based (or DVD) manuals? (does such a thing exist?)

I'll modify my suggestion and recommend that one check out the legitimacy of these CD-based manuals before purchasing them.

tntjones

Recruit

I have a 115 Yamaha outboard and when we cranked up this am there is oil being pumped straight out of the exhaust ports on the lower unit. Where do I need to start checking to repair.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You can start by reading the top 2 threads on this forum and start you own thread like it states instead of adding onto an old one.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im no mechanical expert, but i find the cons of the oil injection system to outway the pro's. Its my belief that its more a pollution issue then anything and someone figured out the a 2 stroke can technically use much less oil at idle and low speeds then it does at wot, like 4 or 5x less. Ive owned many yamaha's and have found ive gotten atleast 400-500 more hours out of the motors we ran pre-mix with and they always had better compression readings then the ones we ran with the oil injection system over their whole life. The only benefit i could see to the oil injection is in a lean running condition if one of your carbs was plugged up or something but search the posts and you will see that far more engines fry because someone didnt maitenance their oil injection system properly or it had some kind of failure then lean running conditions. I will agree if maitenanced properly the system works well, but in M.H.O its more about keeping the air & water clean, which isnt a bad thing either i guess.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please do not hijack old threads, or even reply to them. New problem, new member. . .new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.