Yamaha C60TLRY 60 hp 2 stroke running problems

Blwn00RT

Recruit
Hello I am new to the site, and helping a neighbor trouble shoot his boat. What we have done so far is run a portable tank with new fuel lines. Took the boat to a mechanic and he supposedly checked the carbs and adjusted the floats. He couldn't get the boat to do the issue when he took it on the water. I am a Car guy and am just trying to help my neighbor. We replaced the filter/ O ring that's on the motor. Also replaced the supply lines to the carbs, along with a new water pump. The boat will run on plane for about 2 to 5 minutes. Will crank up to 5600 rpm with ease. Then bog down like limp mode on a car and only run about 2000 to 2500 rpm. Also replaced a heat sensor on it as well. Its weird that sometimes after we kill all power to the motor for 5 to 10 minutes it will fire up and run great. Then bogs down, then we do the same thing and it will still run like its bogged down. Does this sound like a CDI taking a dive? Or possibly the stator pickup giving us fits heating up? I did a cranking compression test on this motor, It has 87/85/87 on all cylinders. I looked at the spark on every plug and its white/blueish. Any help would be great, seeing throwing money at this boat is driving my neighbor nuts.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha C60TLRY 60 hp 2 stroke running problems

Test the overheat alarm to see if it is working, sounds like it is coming in but not sounding the audible alarm and then check / replace the thermostat and water pump if they have not been replaced lately