2005 yamaha 90 2 stroke problem going in and out of forward gear

basscat348

Seaman
My original problem was reverse gear not engaging all of the time so i pulled the lower and replaced the clutch dog and reverse gear because they were worn down.Now after replacing reverse works great just like its supposed to.My problem now lies with the forward gear,I can shift into forward gear easily and it works fine its just when i try to go back to neutral from forward gear it just wont go.I can manually by the engine with some great force applied but its not supposed to be that way.I have pulled the unit apart again looking for any signs of something bad or I did wrong but i cant find anything.I used the yamaha service manual to do everything as it said.I have checked the control box and it all looks good.What am I missing here?

basscat348

Seaman
Re: 2005 yamaha 90 2 stroke problem going in and out of forward gear

Cant believe there is no guru's here stepping up LOL.Why is forward gear sticking in forward and not coming out? I will only come out after I shut the engine off.The dog is new and the gear looks good,could the spring inside the shaft be wore out or something else.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2005 yamaha 90 2 stroke problem going in and out of forward gear

My first question was why were the clutch dog and first gear warn so bad to start with? Maybe lower end was involved in a collision with a submerged object at some time? Has your gearbox fluid always looked clear and clean, any water/corrosion problems caused by leaking seals? Good luck and let us know what you find out, especially since my motor is a 1999 Yamaha 90HP, and I'd like to learn what may have caused your gearbox problems.