Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke warning buzzer

jjirl

Recruit
Can anyone one help?

I have a 1999 model Yamaha 115hp CETOL 2 stroke with a problem. When you start the engine and increase the revs to 1400 or above a warning buzzer sounds from the control box and 3 lights on the digital tach are flashing (see image attached).

The lights flashing are low oil (red) full oil (green) & yellow (oil can symbol). Once the alarm is activated it also cuts in the limp home mode and lowers the revs and there is a lot of vibration from the engine. At this point both tanks are full and you can smell the oil ok.

Once you reduce the revs to tick over it will go back to normal and the alarm will cut out.

So far i have tried a number of things. First i tried a new hand control box, then i put in a new tach clock, i have disconnected the thermo sensors mounted on top of each bank of cylinders, i have put on a different remote oil tank and all of which have made no difference.

I have cleaned the filter in the remote tank, i have also cleaned the gause filter in the header tank and still no improvement.

I have also fitted a new CDI unit but with no success. Items i have not checked are the emergency oil switch unit and the oil pump itself.

There appears to be a leak around the top of the oil float switch on the header tank. When the engine is trimmed you can see a drip of oil coming from it. Could this be a problem?

While running the engine in a barrel today i noticed a lot of water coming up from the lower unit and coming out around the rear of the upper cowling, When the revs are dropped back to tick over this stops. The engine is pumping water very well. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem but i thought i'd mention it.

I am now at a loss. I hope someone can help. Thank you

Attachments

• Yamaha warning 005.jpg
    Yamaha warning 005.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0

harvey5560

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke warning buzzer

I found this on another Yamaha page that may help

boats.net
Moderator Join Date: Dec 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lights are flashing indicating engine oil tank is low or filter inside tank is plugged up. Remove oil sensor and clean filter, sensor may be bad and need replacing if oil level is above bottom line on oil tank.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/oil-alarm-225-txrr-sounding-help-pls-th8208.html

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

3 lights flashing means the engine oil tank is low and the remote tank has sufficient oil for transfer, or it means the oil control module is not working correctly or has a loss of correct operating voltage.

blackgun6109

Cadet

post like yours and lots and lots of others like this why I don't like oil inj. The system seems to be reliable for oiling but its the float switches and lights or limp mode that I dont want to deal with. I also sell yamaha jet skis and i have picked up lots of them with a seized piston because one hose came off and the owner found out the hard way.

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

post like yours and lots and lots of others like this why I don't like oil inj. The system seems to be reliable for oiling but its the float switches and lights or limp mode that I dont want to deal with. I also sell yamaha jet skis and i have picked up lots of them with a seized piston because one hose came off and the owner found out the hard way.

Mate - that might be your experience so fair enough. From my point of view the oil injection on a Yammy V4 is pretty much bullet proof. Apart from a recent change of the little inline filter and checking the oil filter at the head my 93 V4 has never had anything replaced or fail - runs like a dream. I would never ever ever go back to pre-mix - its just a dog of a thing - fuel going off quicker, fuel more likely to gum up carbs (the Yamm oil is injected at the reed valves), crazy smoking at idle, sooting of plugs from idle/trawling and lowered throttle response and performance versus the injected set up.

The thing i do to keep things sweet is run only top oil (in my case the ash reducing Merc Optimax oil).

Cheers

blackgun6109

Cadet

I know some people just love oil injection but like i said when it starts buzzing or goes in limp mode 40 miles out then post how much you love it.. I just dont see why some people think its so hard to put oil in their gas,and i also like lubricating my carbs which you dont do with your set up. I look at an oil injection system and count all the things that can and do go wrong like,line coming off,float stuck,oil harness connection, tank trash and then i remove all of it and guess what ? all those possible problems are gone and to me thats a no brainer. also by the way a 50 to 1 ratio or 16oz to every 6gal of fuel has always ran clean and does not soot plugs in my mercs or yamahas.

jjirl

Recruit

Hi Rodbolt,

Thanks for your response, what is the process for checking the oil control module?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thats the problem. there isnt a good test.
you test about everything around it and go from there.
whats happening is either the engine tank switch s failing, easily tested with an ohm meter, the redwire fron the tank switch is shorting, the operating control voltage or a fault with the oil control module ground.
let me look around the shop and see what I can find.
I dont know when or if the international market engines got the oil module change
that the US market engines did.
the change was the addition of a pulser coil to module wire for an engine running signal.

99hurricane

Recruit

Can anyone one help?

I have a 1999 model Yamaha 115hp CETOL 2 stroke with a problem. When you start the engine and increase the revs to 1400 or above a warning buzzer sounds from the control box and 3 lights on the digital tach are flashing (see image attached).

The lights flashing are low oil (red) full oil (green) & yellow (oil can symbol). Once the alarm is activated it also cuts in the limp home mode and lowers the revs and there is a lot of vibration from the engine. At this point both tanks are full and you can smell the oil ok.

Once you reduce the revs to tick over it will go back to normal and the alarm will cut out.

So far i have tried a number of things. First i tried a new hand control box, then i put in a new tach clock, i have disconnected the thermo sensors mounted on top of each bank of cylinders, i have put on a different remote oil tank and all of which have made no difference.

I have cleaned the filter in the remote tank, i have also cleaned the gause filter in the header tank and still no improvement.

I have also fitted a new CDI unit but with no success. Items i have not checked are the emergency oil switch unit and the oil pump itself.

There appears to be a leak around the top of the oil float switch on the header tank. When the engine is trimmed you can see a drip of oil coming from it. Could this be a problem?

While running the engine in a barrel today i noticed a lot of water coming up from the lower unit and coming out around the rear of the upper cowling, When the revs are dropped back to tick over this stops. The engine is pumping water very well. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem but i thought i'd mention it.

I am now at a loss. I hope someone can help. Thank you

hey i also need a little help, does your ignition buzzer behind the dash have a small resistor attached to it, and can you tell me the value of it?

99hurricane

Recruit

need help with my 99 115hp yamaha 2 stoke premixed, the warning alarm buzzer behind the dash has a resistor attached to it, does anybuddy know what its for and the value of it. thank you.

gordon007

Recruit
Re: 1983 Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke warning buzzer from throttle box.

Re: 1983 Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke warning buzzer from throttle box.

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my 83 model 115 hp Yamaha outboard, the last time I had it out the alarm sounded after about 10 minutes of run time and lasted about 2 to 3 minutes and done this twice before it stopped, the motor seemed fine.
I haven't used it for over 12 months and when I put the hose on it to give it a flush it did it again after about 10 minutes,
the water flow is good and strong coming from the outlets.

What temp is acceptable to run at?