Operating temp Yamaha F150

JARB

Seaman Apprentice
I have just installed an engine interface and a water pressure sensor to my Command Link equipped Yamaha F150. I have earlier noticed that during hi-speed cruising and at WOT the temp bar on the tachometer raises to the second to last bar on the tachometer. Now with the interface I can see the temp in numbers and at normal cruising speed 3500 - 4000 rpm the temp is around 185 - 195?F and at WOT it raises to 230?F. According to the service manual this is well above the temp for the alarm to go off.

I have noticed that the switch for the alarm is on the thermostat housing and the sensor for the meter is on top of the engine so I guess the meter does not sense the cooling water temp as is usual in cars. My water pressure is 8 psi at cruising speed and 10 psi at WOT, at WOT the tachometer bar for water pressure is on the last bar and at cruising on the second to last bar so I guess this is normal. What is to be considered normal temp values and is it normal that the temp fluctuates so much when the load on the engine varies?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Operating temp Yamaha F150

230 is high, I would hit it with a temp gun or set the command link mode to read temp not the bars.
do you have the square or round guages.

JARB

Seaman Apprentice

I have the round Command Link gauges so I cannot switch to temp in numbers, they just have the bars.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

then I would temp gun it and make sure the new interface is actually compatible with the yamaha CTS.

JARB

Seaman Apprentice

Thank You for your answers Rodbolt! Googled a bit and there seems to be some issue with the yamaha temp readings on the Lowrance plotters which is what I have. I will "gun" it anyway to be completely safe. Is it normal to have the fluctuations on the temp bars on the tachometer as I have. At cruising I have bar 3-4 and at WOT bar 5 out of 6. It has been like that since new, it is a a 2007 engine with 160 hrs on it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno.
my F150 always stays between the 2nd to the last bar when running it hard.
never worried about it.
longest I ever ran it steady above 5500 RPM was about 40 minutes.

bear_69cuda

Commander

On my square Command Link Tach, I also notice the bars moving to the second to the last bar @ WOT, maybe I'll try and change to actual temp this weekend and report back...

JARB

Seaman Apprentice

Please do bear_69cuda! That would be very interesting to see what actual temps the square meters show at the second to last bar.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Darn,

I couldn't figure out how to read actual temp rather than the bar meter... I didn't have my Command Link manual with me... I'll be out next weekend, sorry dudes...