Tilt/trim Question 55 hp Suzuki Outboard

MBragg

Cadet
55 hp Suzuki Outboard with 2 ram tilt/trim system. Don't know the year.

My friend decided to replace fluid in a (working) trim motor reservoir. He drained the fluid out with the motor in the down position. Upon refilling it, the trim motor still sounds fine but does not raise or lower the motor. We tried some suggestions found online to bleed the system. What we get is fluid and no air.

Tried manually raising the motor to the full up position and then filling reservoir. This produced some pressure as the motor then slowly falls to the down position. However, the motor just wants to sit there in the down position... Won't go up or down.

Any tips on how we can start over and properly fill and then bleed the trim/tilt system?

Thanks, SSG B

MBragg

Cadet
Re: Tilt/trim Question 55 hp Suzuki Outboard

OK - Problem solved.

Perhaps someone may find the answer to his problem useful.

Turns out, my friend drained the trim motor reservoir by removing the pressure release valve on the bottom side of the motor. One should not totally remove this valve because there are some tiny parts that may fall out. Specifically (on this particular motor) there is a tiny little washer with a gasket in it, then a tiny metal disc, then another tiny washer with a gasket in it. They go into the hole in that order.

Without these little parts, your trim motor will run fine but cannot manage to attain pressure, thus, it will not be be able to move the motor up and down or even hold it up.

Silly sounding problem, I know, but these doggone parts apparenty squirted out of there and ended up in the dirt and grass on the ground. Amazingly, after reviewing a schematic of the system, they were found days later and once we put them back in, the trim system worked perfectly.

SSG B

James R

Commander
Re: Tilt/trim Question 55 hp Suzuki Outboard

Those little parts are a pain. I know from experience. The only way I could get those bits back in was to lay the motor on its side and carefully put them back. Pleased to hear you managed that.
Well done.