Yamaha 1986 225 Oil tank overflowing

530E Fro

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1986 V6 Special J and when ever the key is on the oil pump to the engine mounted tank is running causing the engine mounted tank to overflow. I am confidant that my engine mounted oil sender is working properly because when i let the float fall to the bottom the alarm sounds. I am leaning to the oil control module however I am unsure on resistance specs on testing the module the wires going to the sender are red, white, black, brown. thanks for all your help in advance.

jaymz101

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 1986 225 Oil tank overflowing

The boat mounted oil sensor has 3 switches in it. the top switch is the one that is bad. Its not telling the control module that the tank is full and to turn off the pump. The bottom switch only controls the oil alarm.

Should be a 5 wire connector coming out of boat mounted oil tank. To check the switch you need an ohmeter with diode test function. Connect black to black and red to blue/white. With float at top should show continuity. Float anywhere else should be open line.

530E Fro

Recruit

when you say boat mounted tank do you mean engine mounted tank or the one in the boat, correct me if im wrong the sender in the boat doesnt control the oil transfer pump its the sender in the engine mounted tank, and i only have a four wire connector with red, white, brown, black wires coming off the oil sender on the engine

jaymz101

Cadet

sorry I misspoke. I meant engine oil tank.

As for the wiring, you have the older style connector before they added the reset circuit. To check the top switch connect black to black and red to white. Again, float at the top = continuity, float anywhere else = open line.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

still got it wrong.
test black to white with float up, should have less than 5 ohms, brown to black float in the middle, same as above, red to black float down same as above.
with key on,pump running engine off and the engine oil tank switch dissconnected, jump the white to black on the engine harness, if the pump shuts off its most likly the switch, if it does not its either the module or the key on module 12V.
fairly simple system, doesnt use the trim sender uses a mercury switch in the module unless its been changed in the past 5 years or so.

530E Fro

Recruit

hey thanks rod bolt, so the switch in the engine tank tested out ok do you have any specs or testing procedures on the control module

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

re read the above post.
white to black, pump off,brown to black pump on.
doesnt get much simpler.

530E Fro

Recruit

you mentioned the oil system is tied in with the key on module 12v?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the module is powered by the key on yellow wire 12V.
if it drops much below about 9.5 the oil transfer gets turned on.
the later replacement modules had a green/white wire that went to the pulser coil terminal to prevent this.
its a pretty simple system to check.