Rough ONLY in forward gear Yamaha F225

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice
My Yamaha F225 (2002) idles fine in Neutral but runs rough when I put in Forward at idle speed. Even a little throttle makes it run perfectly again. ONLY rough in F gear and at idle speed. Is it possible to have the prop nut to tight...just enough friction to strain engine and make it run rough until juicing it up? Any advice?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough ONLY in forward gear Yamaha F225

prop nut isnt your problem.
is the engine in a proper state of tune?
is the shift linkage adjusted properly?
when did this issue occur?

robert graham

Admiral

If your motor's idle is set a bit on the low side, then when you put it in gear, it can cause the RPM's to drop until the motor is shaking a bit, my 90HP does that some, especially when the motor isn't warmed up good. It's a good idea to let your motor warm up at idle for about 3 minutes before putting in gear. Maybe check and adjust your idle to the recommended range. Good Luck!

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

prop nut isnt your problem.
is the engine in a proper state of tune?
is the shift linkage adjusted properly?
when did this issue occur?

- Not sure if it's in a proper state of tune, how would I know? Runs perfect in N and in F as long as I give it even a little gas. It runs rough in idle/F whether the engine is warm or not.

- How can I tell if the shift linkage is adjusted properly?

- The issue started this past spring after winter lay-up. Funny thing (not so funny) is this was the first winter I let the yard winterize the engine, so they did things I don't normally do...like change the fuel filter that's on the engine, check cylinder compression, etc. It was at a very reputable Yamaha dealer too. I ran the engine all summer this way and it's no worse or better.