1985 suzuki Dt85 ignition problems?

snotrag

Recruit
Hi all,

I have an 1985 Suzuki DT85 I bought last summer. First of it started fine and purred like a kitten on idle. Got up on the plane for around 30 seconds then the revs cut back to 2000rpm and wouldn't go any higher, with the occassional miss fire thrown in. If I cut the engine and started again it would rev up again for 30 secs just to go back down to 2000rpm again.
I have since replaced the impeller as I thought it was a limp home mode.

yesterday I took it out and it went well for around 5 minutes then the revs started backing off then up again, very arratic. it seemed to perform better at 4000rpm but if I tried to increase the revs dropped to 3000rpm. As the motor got warmer it got worse and worse until it simply cut out and refused to start, not even trying to fire. after letting it cool it will start no problem but as soon as I put it in gear it dies.

Someone has suggested the magneto? or a coil? we have been through the fuel system and everything seems to be working fine.

Any help would be much much appreciated. cheers

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1985 suzuki Dt85 ignition problems?

Check water flow switch and pull thermostat ....

snotrag

Recruit

I dont know much about outboards mate, what and where is a water flow switch? I have put in a new thermostat. cheers

Hal Ray

Cadet

Try replacing the spark plugs. Yes, I know sounds like not related to symtoms described but I have had some strange issues corrected by replacing plugs.