Steps to changing Shift Rod - Yamaha 200hp V6

mustang5

Cadet
Hey guys,

Finally got the boat into the water after a full powerhead rebuild and oil transfer fixed. Put her in, hop in only to see it wont engage reverse. Just get a whole lot of clicking. Would go into fwd fine. But after a bit of fiddling around with cables and so forth it wouldnt do anything at all.

Back out of the water to inspect and see that the shift rod is about 3mm diameter at the bottom, and was not turning when moving the fwd controls.

So my question is, what is the process in changing these? From what I have read it is a powerhead off job.

Now luckily there is still fresh grease on the power head bolts, so I am going to tackle this on my own, with hopefully some help from you guys here.

Model is a 200 beto 6G6 UL 588 761 C

Is it a simple case of removing the 10 bolts (2 frnt, 2 back, 3 on each side?) along with the cables, lines and wiring harnesses?

Is there anything else to look out for?

Will I need to remove the bottom leg first?

Please excuse my lack of experience. I have only purchased this boat but is my 4th yamaha. I have always paid to get things done but the last 3 experiences with qualified mechanics has only left me broke and dissapointed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steps to changing Shift Rod - Yamaha 200hp V6

ya simply got fuuuuked on the so called rebuild, but gauruntee ya got what ya paid for.

mustang5

Cadet

Well the rebuild was to repair the block and rods that threw after 10 minutes of owning the boat.

I had the boat fully checked out by a mechanic before purchase, that was $400 which included a water test. Dont ask me how he didnt pick it wasnt transferring oil, the width of the gear shaft, the wiring all faulty and old, and the biggest was how it just threw a rod.

Mechanic that did repair/rebuild pretty much only concentrated on the power head as I took the mechanics word who inspected the boat as the rest was fine. But hey, you think they would pick up on these things, so yes, I did get Fuucked.. Got what I paid for?? Well, I dont even know yet as it hasnt been on the water since a rebuild. But it is all new genuined crank, rods and pistons, with all new bearings and rings. So heres to hoping hey.

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your vast amount of knowledge, but a little help would be much appreciated rather than stating the obvious.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there are NO words of comfort, unfoutunantly.
ya simply got fooooked.
now its what do YOU wish to do.
but yep, ya got the ole jackshaft up the whamazoo.
thats usually what ya get on a "good deal"

mustang5

Cadet

Duly Noted. Thanks for the help. Anyone would think a local reputable yamaha dealer charging $4500 for a powerhead rebuild would be what you need. But anyways, I will cop that on the chin. I got shafted. I know this. But thanks for the reminder.

Want to move forward now, hopefully with some friendly advise. Doesnt seem like I am at the right place for that though.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

but that was not the question.
now that the powerehead has been off, maybe its gonna be easy to change the shift shaft.
however what I was beating on is the last folks that worked on it most likly turned it into 18 cents per pound.
they OBVIOUSLY were not trained field techs with yamaha.
get past that and we can help you.
actually, they could have been. my boss hired a new guy to replace me, he worked for Yamaha as a field service rep.
yep.
he did.
however he lasted 9 days as a line tech and I fielded most his comebacks .
however.

KC4YIN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gentlemen,
This website was found a few days ago about an alternative method for changing the shift shaft. It is a company that deals with the Yamaha shift shaft and offers a replacement stainless steel version. Don't know if it will help in your application or not but I would believe Rodbolt would know for sure. Hope it helps.

http://shiftshaft.com/index.html

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep
however it does not work with ALL v6 and All V4 yamahas.
simply depends on the year and how the reed box is layed out.
some we can change by removing the intake, some the power head comes off.
however the original poster got foooked by untrained or idiot techs that did not do it while the powerhead was off.
NO WAY would I ever ever have a poerhead off that I did not remove and inspect the shift shaft,replace the water pump and everything else that SHOULD be done.

mustang5

Cadet

Ok I see your point. I understand what should have been done, and I now know what needs to be done.

So at present, I have undone the 6 side bolts, 2 at the front, 2 at the back and the 2 12mm for the gear selector.

Now the engine crane is hooked up, but basically the question is, is there anything else I should be wary about before I start taking the powerhead off?

Secondly, do I need to drop the leg in order to get to or take the gear shaft rod out?

If someone could let me know that that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mustang5

Cadet

All done! Much easier than I thought. Only thanks to the power head bolts being fresh I am sure.

So onto the water in the morning to find the next problem!

Cheers

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

good deal.
hopefully now your set for some years of fun.

thedukejeff

Recruit

Hi,,I got you covered!! This can be done very simply with confidence without the removal of the powerhead!! Exspecially a powerhead that ha seen the enviorment for 15-25years. That's a lot of disimillar metal corrosion!!!You'll break many things! I make the shift rod and parts out of 1/4" SS (316), and used the existing spline yoke and linkage arm from the old shaft and reassembled everything. This can be done (all) between fabrication of parts and removal and install of parts in 4hrs. You will need to have access to a laythe and a TIG welder for this though....Any questions..let me know. I have done quite a few of these for $400.00 a motor (materials parts and labor),, with NO mishaps and NO headaches..Any ?'s...feel free...Jeff in Mass..