40 hp Suzuki shiftin linkage

Mule Clipper

Recruit
my uncle gave me a pontoon boat with a 40 hp suzuki on her im working on getn her sea worthy but ive come across a problem the shifter isnt hooked up to the linkage.... ive found a place just above the foot ( a gap ) where you can see a steel rod and looks like a brass fitting i can move this up and down to put it in and take it out of gear but when i move the shifter on the motor itself nothing happens...

what do i need to do... pull the foot ? i figure since i can shift it at the gap it must be hooked up in the foot ( could be wrong )

how do i get to the linkage at the top ? ( if thats what i need to do )

my uncle said something about a Grommet or something that he didnt replace by cant remember where or what it was for

thanks for your help in advance

Mule Clipper

Recruit
Re: 40 hp Suzuki shiftin linkage

by the way .... you folks helped me with a late 70's model 15 hp Rude about 2 years ago.... had to rebuild her from the ground up !!! and im happy to say thanks to you folks she has been running Awesome Sauce ever since... fires first pull and has never left me stranded THANKS ALOT FOLKS ;)

Mule Clipper

Recruit
Re: 40 hp Suzuki shiftin linkage

all i really need is a picture of the linkage connections top and bottom... i can figure it out from there