Suzuki 115 4-stroke - open throttle and tilt alarm and cuts off

dshort6

Recruit
I have a Suzuki DF 115 4-stroke (2004) which has run relatively well until recently.

From idle, I typically open the throttle and take off with the motor trimmed all the way down, adjusting the trim as I gain speed. I've never had a problem doing this, and I suspect just about everyone does this.

I took the boat out two days the other weekend. The first day, ran it about 4 hours in some pretty rough water. Ran fine, including the trim problem I'm getting to. The next day though, I opened the throttle to take off and went to knock the trim up a bit (this is the tilt/trim on the outboard - I do not have trim tabs). As soon as I hit the trim button, I hear a warning alarm from the motor and the motor just cuts off. I can restart immediately and all is fine. I can also trim up and down in idle, but as soon as I try to do both at the same time (accelerate and tilt the motor), this alarm goes off and the motor cuts off.

I'm truly stumped here. Anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki 115 4-stroke - open throttle and tilt alarm and cuts off

sounds like a low voltage alarm and if the engine ECU gets less than about 10.5 volts it tends to not only turn off the ECU it also turns off the fuel pumps and injector circuits.
the result is an immediate shut down.
I would start by checking all ground and positive battery connections, especially if the battery still has wing nuts.

dshort6

Recruit
Re: Suzuki 115 4-stroke - open throttle and tilt alarm and cuts off

Thanks for the response! That makes complete sense. I'll check those connections and report back.