2003 Yamaha 115 4stroke gas leak and squealing

Hello,

I have had no problems with my motor until now that I keep it in the water during the season. Before it was always trailered when not in use. My 2003 Yamaha 115 4stroke has a gas leak that seems to be coming from the lower unit. I only notice it when I have it tilted up out of the water. It is a very slow leak and it has been going on for about a month. Should I not tilt it out of the water when tied to the dock? Also, the engine squeels both when it is in neutral and in gear. It is not a loud squeel and it is not constant. I have noticed this for about a month also.

Thank you in advance for any help!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 Yamaha 115 4stroke gas leak and squealing

probably not a gas leak, most likly a lower unit seal or a trim unit seal.
smell it and see.

501nmc

Cadet

Don't know about gas leak, figure like rodbolt said. The squeel could be the iddler pulley for your timing belt. My f90tlrc squeeled a little at times and it would come and go. I replaced the belt and most of the squeel went away. Still hear it at times and it is coming from the iddler pulley. The replacement pulley through yamaha is about $165 or so, you might see if the bearings can be replaced, these you can probably get from a local bearing supplier or parts house for about $20. I haven't pulled mine off yet to replace the bearings, but I know this is where my problem is, maybe it's your problem too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! Turns out I'm not alone in the squeeling problem. Happy to hear it's an easy fix.

I should have explained the gas leak more, it seems to be running down the lower unit, not neccesarily coming from the lower unit. When I have the motor trimmed up out of the water I notice gas in the water when I step in the boat and the bottom of the motor touches the water.

How do I replace the seals that were suggested?

Thanks! I really appreciate it. You're keeping this young fisherman from spending the money I don't have.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the gas leak, take the hood off, trim it up and look.
on the squeek/squeal.
liberaly soak the drive shaft, just under the lower pan, with wd40 or any light oil.
if it goes away its a bushing squeek.
rather normal.
its also rather normal to hear some belt noise at low speed.