2004 200hp yamaha hpdi problem

salsbals

Cadet
I have a Yamaha 200 hp hpdi with a jet pump on a 21' 2004 North River Aluminum Sled.

I have an intermitint problem.... I will run the motor out to a fishing spot, kill it and run my kicker. After running the kicker a while I will fire up the 200hp to move spots..... sometimes it will take off perfect, sometimes it it will act like it is cutting out real bad or running on a limp mode.... I thought it might be weeds in the pump so I raised the motor out of the water to backflush.... when I lowered back down and started it it worked fine. (Its not weeds or debri .... it happens way to often) but raising and lowering the motor seems to correct the problem most of the time.... when the motor takes off fine it will run perfect with no other problems.. also note the primer bulb always seems squishy.... any help would be great... Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 200hp yamaha hpdi problem

check the lift pumps and fuel rail pressure.
the squishy bulb is usually a sign of a bad lift pump.

mimmik02420

Cadet

Also a thought...after raising the motor and putting it back down it runs fine? I had the same problem with my old yamaha and after inspection I found an electrical short. Trimming the motor down for me would clear the problem as it would alleviate contact between my ignition and another harness wire. It would put the motor in limp mode when trimmed up at all. I'd check harness connections and make sure all all wires are clear/clean around the motor.

salsbals

Cadet
Re: 2004 200hp yamaha hpdi update

Re: 2004 200hp yamaha hpdi update

Thanks for the reply's ... I took the boat out fishing all day yesterday. My mechanic here thought it could have been the neutral/forward/reverse switch not engaing correctly...( I did start it in forward a couple times :eek:) It took off right off the bat... and then went 5 for 5 ofter long trolls on my kicker. the 6th time it bogged or was in limp mode. and then itermitent from there on out... some times it would scream like a bat out of hell.. other starts it would limp.

I have checked wires ( I will check again) also I guess the bulb wasnt limp. It just wasnt rock hard like I thought it should be.

Im going to change the svt screen as it seems to be a common problem. although if it was fuel restriction it seems like it would happen somewhere during accelleration... not kick it into limp right off the bat???

Thanks again

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if your not getting an alarm your not in any kind of RPM reduction.
as your not posting about blown fuses I doubt there are any shorts.
find a real tech.
there is no fwd,N, and reverse switch.
there are TWO switches on the shift slide, one is for shift position and the other is shift cut.
the one that prevents starting in gear is at the control box not the engine.
if it starts in gear fix the wiring at the control box.
however if the ECU sees a crank signal from the starter relay AND an in gear position from the shift position it wont run much above about 2000 RPM and misses like crazy cause its only gonna run on 4 cylinders.
like I say, find someone who has real life experience with HPDI and understands what is there and why.

salsbals

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt.... Sorry I didnt mention, but this is a tiller handle motor with a jet pump... no control box..... but what you said

( however if the ECU sees a crank signal from the starter relay AND an in gear position from the shift position it wont run much above about 2000 RPM and misses like crazy cause its only gonna run on 4 cylinders.)

is exactly what is happening....... but there is no alarm

salsbals

Cadet

Two other notes....

Shift slide switch shows its working on the laptop

Took tiller handle apart and there is no alarm .....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like a jury rigged junkaroo.
you have two choices.
1 rune er tiil she blows.
2 rig an alarm and a digital tach to monitor engine and oil tank functions.
what do you wish to do?
for the US market that was never offered in a jet nor a tiller.

salsbals

Cadet

Almost 75% of fishing boats in the NW are tiller handle jets..... definatly not a frankinstein there are plenty of "non tiller" motors with tiller handles up here. Remember we are all loggers with chest hair and flannel shirts... 200hp in your palm is nothin..

at this point I am leaning towords the shift selector switch... the lap top said it was fine but it is an "Itermintent problem" also will running the kicker and 200 off the same tank cause an issue?

Alarm will be installed asap. I wasnt aware it was missing......just got the boat..... the good news is the motor has only 38hrs...

salsbals

Cadet

FIXED..... fingers crossed.

After changing the vst and med pressure filters, replacing the N saftey switch.... still no help.

It was the controll arm that activates the N saftey switch. It was just a nut hair out of adjustment so it wouldnt fully activate the N saftey switch 100% of the time. The only way we found it was running it in the water with the laptop hooked up showing what each cylinder was doing.....

Thanks for the help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there is NO nuetral switch ON the engine.
there IS a shift position switch that I mentioned before.
IF the ECU sees a crank signal and the switch signal is its in gear the ECU knows something is wrong and WILL limit RPM and not allow 2 cylinders to fire.
the N safty switch wont allow the engine to crank over if its open.
you have a franken engine, it was never offered as a tiller nor was a tiller avalible for the z200.
however some tillers will kind of fit but you lose the N safty switch,the alarm audibles and typically engine life is short.
the shift cut switch aids in coming out of gear,if you have a gearcase, not applicable with a jet.
the shift position switch tells the ECU if its in gear or not.
the shift position switch has NOTHING to do with cranking.
like I say, if the ECU gets a crank signal from the start relay AND an in gear signal from the shift position switch it stays on 4 cyl operation.
if it never gets an IN gear position signal it will run on 4 cylinders until about 1800 RPM then it will drop two more cylinders. its just how it works, but yall already knew that.

littlejohn2458

Seaman Apprentice

there is NO nuetral switch ON the engine.
there IS a shift position switch that I mentioned before.
IF the ECU sees a crank signal and the switch signal is its in gear the ECU knows something is wrong and WILL limit RPM and not allow 2 cylinders to fire.
the N safty switch wont allow the engine to crank over if its open.
you have a franken engine, it was never offered as a tiller nor was a tiller avalible for the z200.
however some tillers will kind of fit but you lose the N safty switch,the alarm audibles and typically engine life is short.
the shift cut switch aids in coming out of gear,if you have a gearcase, not applicable with a jet.
the shift position switch tells the ECU if its in gear or not.
the shift position switch has NOTHING to do with cranking.
like I say, if the ECU gets a crank signal from the start relay AND an in gear signal from the shift position switch it stays on 4 cyl operation.
if it never gets an IN gear position signal it will run on 4 cylinders until about 1800 RPM then it will drop two more cylinders. its just how it works, but yall already knew that.

Its always Cyl #2 and #3 that wont fire. I had this problem where the shift pos SW was sliding around because the person who rigged the boat did not do a good job. the spot on the shifter on the engine was too far foreward and it was not fully disengaging.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and if 2&3 are off due to the shift position switch telling the ECU its in neutral, if you attempt to rev the engine,2.6L HPDI, above 1500 it shuts down cylinders 5&6 as well as 2&3.
its just how it works.
does the same on a 3.3L HPDI only the 5&6 shut down occurs at about 1700 RPM.

Innovale

Recruit

I have a Yamaha 200 hp hpdi with a jet pump on a 21' 2004 North River Aluminum Sled.

I have an intermitint problem.... I will run the motor out to a fishing spot, kill it and run my kicker. After running the kicker a while I will fire up the 200hp to move spots..... sometimes it will take off perfect, sometimes it it will act like it is cutting out real bad or running on a limp mode.... I thought it might be weeds in the pump so I raised the motor out of the water to backflush.... when I lowered back down and started it it worked fine. (Its not weeds or debri .... it happens way to often) but raising and lowering the motor seems to correct the problem most of the time.... when the motor takes off fine it will run perfect with no other problems.. also note the primer bulb always seems squishy.... any help would be great... Thanks

Hello, I have a 2000 Yamaha 200 HPDI with these exact symptoms. Did you ever confirm what was the problem and fix? I'm having a hard time tracking this down. I should note, too, that when this problem occurs bringing the motor up and down does NOT fix the problem. I have intermittent "limp mode" symtoms.

thanks for any help,

Michael