2001 Yamaha 50 HP 4 Stroke Milkshake maker.... Blown Head Gasket?

Scuba728

Recruit
2001 Yamaha 50HP four stroke.

Yesterday I was making final adjustments to the accelerator pump out on the water after doing a carb rebuild and sync. Almost had it adjusted just right when I pulled the cowling to make one more small adjustment I saw some oil had came out of the airbox...

Pulled the dipstick and sure enough it looked like someone had poured a Wendy's frosty inside... Idled back to ramp went home and flushed the motor (on the flush fitting I did not run the engine).

When I pulled the plugs water came pouring out of the top hole... All of the others were fine. This is why I assume it is the head gasket. I have not performed a leakdown test yet.

Is this a safe assumption based on the water coming out of the top hole? I have changed the oil 3 times and I am going to pick up 2 more filters on my way home today to do a couple more.

I just got an adapter for my compression gauge today and will check it when I get home. Just by putting my thumb over the holes while cranking, compression felt about the same (I know that sounds stupid but I was checking for the obvious bent rod or hole in the piston feel. aka zero compression) Hopefully I caught it soon enough and nothing too catastrophic happened. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

GoogieMan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2001 Yamaha 50 HP 4 Stroke Milkshake maker.... Blown Head Gasket?

my mate has twin yammy 100hp 4 strokes, one had simalor problem it turned out to be head gasket.

But rodbolt would be the one who would know

Scuba728

Recruit

Just an update compression is 160 on the top hole (the one that had water in it) and 180 on the other 3

Scuba728

Recruit

I guess I am going to order up a head gasket... Does not look too difficult to change... Any tips or tricks other than what is in the manual?