1989 Suzuki DT115 CDI Box Needed

dragos

Cadet
Anyone out there have a new/used CDI box for a 1989 Suzuki DT 115 for sale? If so please contact me at 802-893-6029. According to Boats.net the CDI box from an 86-01 should work(pn. 32900-94640). My engine has carbs.
Thanks
Steve

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1989 Suzuki DT115 CDI Box Needed

What is wrong with your current one? These CDi's never ever go bad!

dragos

Cadet
Re: 1989 Suzuki DT115 CDI Box Needed

A little history here. I bought this used 1989 DT115 on a boat last fall, it was sitting for 3-4 years. Compression was low 130's on all four cylinders but there was NO spark on any cylinder. Bought junk 1990 DT115 over the winter. Found source of No spark on original engine to be bad CDI box.
Took CDI box off junk motor and spark now good on original motor. Fired motor up and it ran good for several days but Suzuki Caution System monitor NOT flagging any faults, indicators always green, even on startup. My boat has NO buzzer so I only had the visual display to monitor. Started troubleshooting oil pump
pressure/flow switch, found it was always open. appears that it should be
normally closed and open with oil pressure/flow. (opposite of how I thought it
should work) Forced closed position(no oil) with motor running and red oil indicator illuminated as expected, engine then shut itself down. Unable to clear red oil alarm, had to removed battery power from engine to clear. Repeated with same results except a few seconds after engine shut down
there was a loud bang, thought engine backfired. Smoke poured out of the cowling. Found face of CDI box physically cracked and a large section of the plastic housing blew off ,exposing the Printed Circuit Board. There is a large burn mark on the PCB and i have no spark. Installed original CDI module on a prayer, no spark. Original CDI module shows NO physical damage.
Net is I bought this engine with bad CDI module and a second one basically blew up. Don't know if this is just bad luck or whether a sensor is shorting the module out. I do have a defective voltage rectifier on my engine, have one on order. Not sure if this is somehow affecting the CDI performance
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

dragos

Cadet
Suzuki Caution System Problems

Suzuki Caution System Problems

Hoping someone else has run into this problem because I am in need of advice. With original CDI module in engine I have NO spark on any cylinder but I am able to force faults on the Suzuki Caution System monitor by jumping out the switches for oil flow/cooling water. Problem is that 25A of current is running through the jumper when I do this.(verified using clamp on DC ammeter) I suspect I have a direct short to ground when I close the switch, current is limited by wire size of my jumper. Does anyone know how the current is limited through the sensor/switched on the DT115?