Start problem when warm of Suzuki 50HP 4 stroke

john david

Recruit
Have Suzuki 50HP 4 stroke outboard never raced or rallied approximately 8 years old. Looked aftermeticulously, flushed out at the end of every season, engine is used in the Mediterranean, crystal clear water and no sediment whatsoever. Engine starts up first time and also first time after its 6 month Winter lay up. There is a loud audible hiss when ignition is switched on but prior to the engine being cranked I gather this is the fuel pump kicking in. It pulls mono skiers effortlessly, plenty of water coming out of tell tale hole but when retrieving a fallen skier and the throttle is drawn back to neutral and the engine is idling (evenly) quite often the engine peters out. I then know I have a big problem because the engine will not start. At this point I don't think I can hear the audible hiss but would I? Maybe the pump is already full!! My big worry is if there was an offshore wind I could be blown miles out to sea so only use the boat when the breeze is on shore and I know eventually I will be blown back to the jetty.

After approximately 1 - 2 hours the key is turned on and the loud audible hiss is present then I know and I can guarantee the engine will start again. The block temperature of the engine is hot as you would expect but not over hot - in other words the engine is not stopping because a seize is coming on. There are no splits or spurts of petrol from fuel/primer bulb/hose/engine connector jack - all in good order Does anybody know what the problem might be? All in all well pleased with the performance of the engine but the situation we have could be very dangerous. Ambient air temperature at the moment in the region of 34c. Hot but not like Saudi. Sorry the question goes on a bit.