1989 Suzuki DT115 Oil Injection Alarm Question

dragos

Cadet
Last fall I purchased a 1990 Crestliner aluminum fishing boat powered by a 1989 DT115.The boat sat for 3-4 years prior to my purchase. It was parked uncovered with the drain plug in. I was told the boat had carb issues and was parked due to lack of funds to fix. Before buying I performed a compression check and found 132,134,135,137 compression with NO spark on any cylinder. Root cause of no spark was a bad CDI unit. CDI box from 1990 DT115 was installed and engine fired up immediately. Still may have carb issues, have only tested on the hose. The boat has the Suzuki Caution System for oil level/oil flow/over rev/cooling water. Problem is I cannot find a warning buzzer for the system anywhere. The entire boat was gutted , including foam, so I definately did not overlook it. I pulled the float system out of the tank(simulate empty) and the bottom green oil indicator stays green but no red oil light is activated as per owners manual. In essence I can run this motor out of oil and not get a warning. Tried float system from the junk motor and achieved same results. Is it possible that someone electrically bypassed the warning system and removed the buzzer? I have NOT tried to induce other warnings to see if any of them work. Does anyone know where the buzzer is physically located? Also, could the CDI unit from the 1990 unit be bad or incompatable with the 1989 motor. Although ALL plugs/wires were exactly the same the CDI units from 1989 and 1990 have different part numbers. As a precaution I am running a 50:1 premix along with the oil injection. Any advice would be appreciated.

nofun2

Cadet
Re: 1989 Suzuki DT115 Oil Injection Alarm Question

My 1986 dt55 buzzer is in the controler box, I'm waiting on my manual
but would like to know how the gauge works ( the info it's displays ).

hope this helps bob

dragos

Cadet

Bob:
Thanks for your reply but there is no buzzer in my remote. The remote appears to be the original Suzuki, model is NA12S.
Thanks
Steve

nofun2

Cadet

Hi steve

wish I could help more, but I've owned my suzuki for a whole
two weeks now. If I didn't have to put on longer cables on I would
have had on idea were my buzzer was. good luck bob

dragos

Cadet

Marty:
Thanks for your reply but there is No buzzer in my control box. I doublechecked after reading your reply. No buzzer explains the lack of audible beeps for the warnings but I still need to understand why I am not getting a visual indicator of warnings on the status meter. I did find several
bullet plug connectors in the vicinity of the remote which are not used. They have black plastic inserts in them, appear to be from the factory. Once my factory manual arrives I will see if the wire color codes of the beeper match the color of the wires in the boat.
Thanks
steve

dragos

Cadet

Further testing showed that the oil flow switch was always open. Replaced oil switch and visual indicators worked properly for a few minutes. Things happened quick but the oil/temp red alarms were illuminated and the engine
turned off. Aproximately 5 seconds after the engine stopped running I heard a loud bang and smoke poured out from the electronics panel on the engine.
The entire front of the CDI unit split open to show a large black spot on the CDI electronics. I will be starting another post for a used CDI unit for a 1989
DT115. Thanks for your help

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Damn that is a first ..... you will have to check each and every wire now .... for these CDi's to blow up takes alot .... your wiring must be totally screwed ....