MID 80'S 30hp YAMAHA/MARINER REED VALVE

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
How hard is it to replace the reed valve assy on a mid 80's 30hp Yamaha/Mariner? Can you do it by taking off just the manifold or do you have to disassemble the crank case? Have not torn into one this deep before, but the outboard mechanic I spoke to told me I would be better off selling the motor for parts then have him do it. But at this point I have so much money tied up in this dang thing I might as well just bite the bullet and give it a try. I have a repair manual but haven't had a chance to thumb thru it yet. Any advice, or words of caution?

The reason I think it is the reed valve assy is because I am dropping a cyl under load but all the elec. is good so it has to be dumping too much fuel into the bottom cyl causing it to flood out right???? new fuel pump, rebuilt carb, new fuel lines and tank. Great compression on both cyl, starts right up and idles perfect. Replaced the coil pack thinking that was it and it did run at WOT but then would not idle, found a hole in fuel line going to carb fixed and now same issue still drops cyl under load.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: MID 80'S 30hp YAMAHA/MARINER REED VALVE

No replies a lot of views so I guess since I have found out the answer I will answer it for those who may search the fourm w/ the same or simular question.

It is not difficult, and yes all you have to do is pull the manifold to gain access.

Found the reed valve and gaskets @ boats.net under Yamaha parts since Yamaha did make this motor, the Yamaha parts for the same year and hp will interchange and I have found several other interchangable parts that show to be discontinued or not avail. thru Mariner althought the part #'s are different from the Mariner to Yamaha catalog. You just have to know what your looking for.