1996 - 60 HP PRO Yamaha

eskychess

Recruit
I am having a problem with my boat motor. It is an 1996 - 60 HP Yamaha engine (2 stroke injector). I'm not having much problem starting the engine. I put new plugs in. When I start out, the engine seems to work fine. But, after having it OPEN so to speak for several minutes I get to my spot and when I slow down to an idle I can't get back to full power for some time when I try to go. When I start pushing the lever to go forward, the engine chugs and stalls. Fortunately, I can get about 12 RPMs and I don't get stranded but it takes awhile to get that power back. I do plan to bring the thing to a mechanic soon, but if I had any idea what this problem could be ahead of time, maybe it would help with the repairs. Thanks for any and all help/ideas.

(add- also I did try different gas hose and different gas tanks - fresh gas etc. - I'm not a mechanic, but the little things I tried anyway.)

Sincerely - Esky

birdseye418

Cadet
Re: 1996 - 60 HP PRO Yamaha

I'm dealing with moisture in my #3 cylendar causing same sort of issue. I replaced the haed gasket, used a portable tank to eleminate bad gas and now have it in the shop letting the pros figure it out. I might know somthing in the morning. Check your plugs for moisture when bogging.

eskychess

Recruit
Re: 1996 - 60 HP PRO Yamaha

Right now - I have it in the shop. The old mechanic there said he was fairly certain it is just a carburetor or injector problem. $140 to fix. Nothing major - but of course, no one will truly know until he takes a look at it. They didn't seem too worried about it though. :) I'll keep you posted.